If you had $35,000.....

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I love the layout of my Oday 322 (1988) and I bought mine for under $25,000. There has been a lot written about the keel joint, but I have not experienced any issues with mine, and another owner has taken his to the Caribbean (alas, like you I am stuck on the Great Lakes).
Here is a nice looking O'Day 322 in Cheboygan..

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1988/Oday-322-2866978/Cheboygan/MI/United-States#.WHqlQMtOKhA

For living aboard, I agree with your desire for a 34-footer or larger (my next boat will be in the 37-40 foot range I think (I love the Beneteau 373, but they are still pretty pricey).

Here is a 34-foot O'Day....
http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/60362

Are there locks between Lake Erie and out the St. Lawrence Seaway? My "end of the world" plan is to sail to the warm waters of the Caribbean, but if the power grid is down, I realized the locks probably will be out of commission.

Greg

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I have a different suggestion (There I go again). All of the above is good advice. But I would urge you to consider how the boat behaves at anchor. Since on a trip of this nature you want to anchor as much as possible for financial reasons. Of course you need good ground tackle. But, when I had the H356, it sailed around on the anchor making many more tense nights than necessary. And that wasn't even in stormy weather. I would want a boat for this cruise that behaves well at anchor. A lot of the modern, Clorox bottle, designs don't. Yeah, they've got the room, and amenities. But if you're sweating bullets every other night it won't be that long a cruise. Roger Long's boat was an Ericson, if I remember. He stayed on the anchor quite a bit. Maybe there's something there to learn from.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Wellend canal I think. Remember, a lot of boats are "yes honey I am selling the boat" priced, you can offer quite a bit lower, Fair number of Catalina 34's so it isn't like another won't be along

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
I have a different suggestion (There I go again). All of the above is good advice. But I would urge you to consider how the boat behaves at anchor. Since on a trip of this nature you want to anchor as much as possible for financial reasons. Of course you need good ground tackle. But, when I had the H356, it sailed around on the anchor making many more tense nights than necessary. And that wasn't even in stormy weather. I would want a boat for this cruise that behaves well at anchor. A lot of the modern, Clorox bottle, designs don't. Yeah, they've got the room, and amenities. But if you're sweating bullets every other night it won't be that long a cruise. Roger Long's boat was an Ericson, if I remember. He stayed on the anchor quite a bit. Maybe there's something there to learn from.
I thought Strider is a 32' Endeavour..

Jul 1, 2014
Hunter 34 Seattle
We had about the same program when we were looking for our boat. We really liked the aft cabin layout of the Catalina 34 but they were always at the high end of our price range and it seems all boats that age need some work. We ended up getting a Hunter 34 for a lot less which left room in the budget for new sails and all new electronics. We are real happy with that decision.

Jan 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Lake Perry, KS
First off you will probably do more motoring than you might think. You may want to think about a different departure point to give you a larger selection of boats. A little out of the box would be a Nonsuch 30 or 26. The Ultra would give you a pullman berth. Interior space is equivalent to a 35 footer. The Ultra models run more than your budget. The traditional interior would be within your budget.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985/Hinterhoeller-Nonsuch-30-Ultra-3015141/Toronto/Canada

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
my choice would be the Catalina 34 for lots of reasons, but We think the 310 is a great boat but not in the budget that you need!

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
WT, sounds like a good plan. Cannot help with boat choice but I like the idea. I have too many obligations now but
retirement is getting near so I hope I can free up the time to make a similar trip.
Perfect time of the year to sit back and dream about it.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
I'm thinking about criteria.
First is a really good place for two to sleep. For us this means the v-berth because of the great ventilation at anchor. Since you are comfortable on a 26, most longer boats should meet this need.
Next is a really comfortable cockpit, for sailing, motor-sailing, and motoring. Can you prop your feet somewhere when heeling? Some longer boats surrender good sailing comfort to more entertainment space in the cockpit. And the cockpit should be good for sleeping/napping.
Storage is a key factor for long cruises and live-aboard. What are you planning to have aboard to support you lifestyle? Remember, your plan is almost all coastal cruising, never more than a day or two from supplies.
In my book, main cabin size is over-rated. Our 27 works great for us even for 8 weeks at a stretch, and we feel that the cabins in the dozen or so 34 to 38 footers we have chartered are mostly wasted space.
We have not needed AC in the Great Lakes, or the Trade Winds of the Caribbean. Anchoring out creates great air flow that is close to water temperature. I'd set out with no AC, and two contingency plans: 1. A 120 volt system to mount in the forward hatch at the dock in southern climes. or 2. A gen set plus built in AC if you have to have it for cruising down south through the summer (hurricane season!) I think this option would push you toward 34 feet to have room for the installation.

Personally, I would consider going to a 30 footer for the increased storage but not much longer. In addition to higher costs, a 34 footer also increases the stress and need for strength handling the sails and the boat at docks, locks, bridges, and anchor.

Good luck! Sounds like fun!

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Hunter 34. Most boat for the money that you will find.
This was the conclusion the Admiral and I reached a couple years ago, in addition to the fact that there were a TON of them out there for sale. Beamy, roomy, big berths, big galley, very livable. I'll leave H34 seaworthiness questions to those more knowledgeable than myself (meaning just about anybody) but for $35K and no blue water aspirations, her livability-to-price ratio is pretty darn good IMHO.

(We later decided to go smaller/go simpler/go sooner; hence the Albin Vega purchase. But that's another story.) :)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
H34 is probably a great boat. I had a Hunter - so I'm not against them. But the high freeboard boats with a fin or wing keel are going to sail around a bit on the anchor. It's not a maybe. That's what they do. It was OK on my boat for a weekend, or even a two week cruise when we would stay on a dock every couple of days. There were memorable nights when I didn't sleep. For a lifestyle I don't think it's sustainable. Every time a cold front comes through on the East coast, or there are thunder storms in the Chessey, there's going to be little sleep. That's like every third night. Lack of sleep leads to cloudy thinking and bad decisions. I would urge someone considering this adventure to throw out the comfort assumptions and re-look at what will make the trip successful. Good motor, comfortable berth, good ground tackle, good behavior at anchor, good stowage, great ventilation, Sun protection, adequate holding tank and water, realistic power budget/charging regimen. I haven't even gotten to sailing. You're going to motor a lot anyway. Life aboard is going to be different than at home. That's why you're going. Whether you have a dinette or drop down table below is meaningless. FWIW, on the H356, the u shaped table was a complete waste of space. We hardly used that part of the boat. I do like that O'Day 322 layout, but that's not the primary criteria.
I bet that Albin Vega behaves at anchor. I would take a look at a Tartan 34 C or similar boat. A lot of full keel boats don't have the deep draft that would keep you out of gunk holes. Just another point of view for consideration.

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
Hunter Legend 35. I had one from 1987 that I bought new in MA. Sold it 1997 for 35K. Sailed the east coast, Key West and the Caribbean. 4.5 foot draft was very handy.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
.... I would urge someone considering this adventure to throw out the comfort assumptions and re-look at what will make the trip successful. Good motor, comfortable berth, good ground tackle, good behavior at anchor, good stowage, great ventilation, Sun protection, adequate holding tank and water, realistic power budget/charging regimen. I haven't even gotten to sailing. .....
I agree with all of the above but maybe take exception to one point and that is "good behavior at anchor". So far I have little experience with the Endeavour but the nights we were on her, on the water not on stands in the yard, she didn't move much on anchor.

Now the Mac is a different story, she sails around constantly. I just got use to it and have never had a problem. I have over-sized the anchors and rode and the boat never drags, just sails around. I sleep all night, through about anything. I could see where this might be a problem in a tight anchorage, but I avoid those. If I'm tucked in real close to shore and there is a chance of a major wind change I put down two anchors, Bahamian Moor wise, with one off shore. Now the boat doesn't even sail around, but seldom anchor that way.

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor-canvas/canvas-5.html

Ruth sewed an anchor sail, shown in the video above, and it slowed the sailing around considerably, but since we were already use to it, we seldom used it, unless I had nothing to do and wanted to rig it up. On the 3 month Bahama trip at times I wouldn't go ashore for 2-3 weeks and then had to take Dramamine when I did as I was so use to the boat being in constant motion I'd feel sick on land,

Sumner
=====================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I had $35K. Then I bought my Hunter and started tinkering with her.
I'm sure you can get something older and larger and bring it up to the task.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Ruth sewed an anchor sail, shown in the video above, and it slowed the sailing around considerably, but since we were already use to it, we seldom used it, unless I had nothing to do and wanted to rig it up.
Sumner, I would have thought that the large windage of your bimini and solar mounts aft would be enough stern windage that a riding / anchor sail would not be needed. Did you really find there was a difference adding additional sail area aft at anchor?

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
In my book, main cabin size is over-rated. Our 27 works great for us even for 8 weeks at a stretch, and we feel that the cabins in the dozen or so 34 to 38 footers we have chartered are mostly wasted space.
I agree, David. On the "all boats are compromises" theme ... the main cabins are for the part of the crew that buys boats at boat shows and asks, "Where is the living room?" I would trade my main saloon for a better sleeping and storage room any day, but that's not how any non-blue water boat is made.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Sumner, I would have thought that the large windage of your bimini and solar mounts aft would be enough stern windage that a riding / anchor sail would not be needed. Did you really find there was a difference adding additional sail area aft at anchor?
We had the bimini from the start and added the solar and I didn't see any difference in how much the boat sails around, which is a lot. The anchor sail did slow it down considerably (see videos above) and also reduced how far she sailed in one direction or another. As I said though, I'm so use to it I don't use the anchor sail anymore.

I also replaced the bimini with a lot more solar and the boat still acts the same, on anchor or sailing. All the panels are parallel to the water so windage hasn't increased much if at all vs. the solar I had and the bimini. I'd never dump the solar as all electrical needs are meet by it.

One last item is that the Mac floats in about 20 inches of water and I have the centerboard and rudder up on anchor so there isn't much to stop if from going sideways,

Sumner
=========================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Last edited: