Identify 23' from 25'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2010
seaward sail tampa
I am looking to purchase a 1985 23' or 26 ' Oday. A ad I saw claims the boat is a 1985 25'. I went to NADA book and they don't show a 25' in 1985. I'm thinking he"s calling his 23' a 25'. Any help, Thanks
The boat is a long drive away

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
According to sailboatdata.com, the 23 and the 25 were last built in 84 and the first 26 was built in 83.
If you can get the serial or HIN number, due a search on this site and you will find how to read the HIN. That will clear things up.
Model years also changed around June or July so you really need the HIN to know what the model year it is. He could have bought a model year 84 O'day 25 in the spring of 85?

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
The O'DAY 25 was phased out at the end of July 1983 and hte 26 phased in in August of 1983 as a 1984 model. Model years usually ran August to July, meaning that the 1984 model year ran August 1983 to July 1984.

The Last year for the O'DAY 23 was 1985 as far as I know.

The last 2 numerical digits in hte HIN will be the model year. The Model (23, 25, 26, etc) will be indicated by the 4th character in the HIN. The HIN for a 23 will start with XDYT, the 25 will start with XDYG, and the 26 with XDYM.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
One of our YC members just picked up a 1983 O'Day 23 with a roller trailer for a good price and he loves that boat. All I can say to you is that his 23 has about the same low freeboard as my 86 O'Day 222 and this is one feature that I favor very much. It also has an anchor locker on the forward bow. OMG! I wish I owned that Boat!!! :dance:

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
The later model O'Day 23s have a slide out galley cabinet mounted on a quarter birth on the Starboard side in that cubby hole under the cockpit combing. The older model OD 23s which were built in the early 1970s had a full galley on the Port side with a dinett table set up which turns into a double birth set up on the Starboard side of the cabin. These OD 23s have low freeboard like my OD 222. I have no problem getting off and on my boat from either my 9' kayak or our floating docks. I have big problems trying to board an OD 25 from my kayak out on the water, believe me.

The O'Day 25 and 26 has a full galley that runs perpendicular to the keel of the boat and is located just under the companionship hatch as you step down to enter the cabin.
These boats have very high freeboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 28, 2007
Oday 23 Anna Maria Isl.
O'Day 23 vs. 25 & 26

The easiest way to tell a 23 from a 25 or 26 from afar (or a picture) is to look at the deck. The 23 deck is almost flush with the rub rail - the 25 and 26 have a deck that is raised 4 - 5 inches above the rub rail. Good luck to you.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/boa/4084796673.html
Here is the listing, hope it works, Any input would be helpful.
Thanks Bill
Been out of sailing 15 years, Trying to get back in before I get too old. 68 and not counting
any more.
Bill,
That boat in the listing is definitely an O'Day 25. You can tell by the galley set up near companionway hatch. The best thing for you to do is click on to the '' Download Sheet''on this site and find O'Day serial number format sheet which explains what the VIN numbers represent. You will need Adobe Reader. Print it out and take it with you when you check out any of these boats.

Joe

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
Right, it looks just like mine used to before I changed a few things.

It also looks to be in decent shape. If there's no water intrusion issues it's a good buy

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Like RBone says, if no water intrusion issues and if it is in as good shape as the photos show, it is a faire price. You'll have fun with it.

Jun 3, 2004
Oday and Catalina O'Day 25 and Catalina 30 Milwaukee
For a 25 without a trailer, that seems a little high to me. I bought mine (1983 model) a couple years ago wiith a double-axle trailer, inboard diesel and the basic equipment for just over $6k. It did have some water intrusion under the mast step that I had to fix (a messy but not overly difficult job) so you will want to check that out. Look for intrusion under the base of the mast and also where the chainplates attach to the bulkhead. If you find it, you won't be the first to have to deal with the problem but that will be another reason to ask for a break on the price. If it has a trailer, then the price looks reasonable.

Good luck,

Dave
s/v Lagniappe
O'Day 25

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
For a 25 without a trailer, that seems a little high to me. I bought mine (1983 model) a couple years ago wiith a double-axle trailer, inboard diesel and the basic equipment for just over $6k. It did have some water intrusion under the mast step that I had to fix (a messy but not overly difficult job) so you will want to check that out. Look for intrusion under the base of the mast and also where the chainplates attach to the bulkhead. If you find it, you won't be the first to have to deal with the problem but that will be another reason to ask for a break on the price. If it has a trailer, then the price looks reasonable.

Good luck,

Dave
s/v Lagniappe
O'Day 25
the price of boats can change drastically with the region they are in, and even so, you may have gotten an incredible deal whereas most buyers dont usually find incredible deal offerings until after they make a fair purchase on something else.... or at least that has always been my experiance:D

Jun 3, 2004
the price of boats can change drastically with the region they are in, and even so, you may have gotten an incredible deal whereas most buyers dont usually find incredible deal offerings until after they make a fair purchase on something else.... or at least that has always been my experiance:D
I agree that there is always going to be variability in used boat markets and maybe this is a good deal given the boat's condition. Still, when I look at the 25's available on this site, I see two that are both on the east coast and are in the $3200 (83 with inboard, no trailer) - $5000 (82 with outboard, no trailer) range. Maybe I didn't get such a good deal afterall since I paid more than $3k more for mine than the 83 without a trailer.

When I go to another site (Sailingtexas) that sells boats primarily in the south but some in other regions and when I focus on those that have been listed since 2011, I find 7 O'Day 25's, only a couple which sold. They range in listed prices from $2200 to $7125 with the average at just under $4800. The three boats that were listed over $5k all had trailers and only one was listed as sold and that one sold at $5300. Most of these ads expired without indicating they sold so perhaps they found a seller through another avenue. It looks like the trailer adds on average just over $3k to the average list price.

Anyhow, that's my take on the market. Sorry about the excessive detail but I actually enjoy keeping tabs on market values. :)

Dave
s/v Lagnaippe
O'Day 25

Oct 3, 2010
oday 31 noank
I think the condition of the boat and the upgrades determine the price. I am selling my 31. I have over 40k in the boat. all recent upgrades. I want 25k...some people say that is high, you can find them much cheaper. maybe so, but you wont find one so thoroughly updated and ready to enjoy. you can buy the bargain boat then put a barrel of money and work in it...or...you can buy the one that is already done and ready to enjoy with no work required. just add wind

Jun 3, 2004
agreed

I think the condition of the boat and the upgrades determine the price. I am selling my 31. I have over 40k in the boat. all recent upgrades. I want 25k...some people say that is high, you can find them much cheaper. maybe so, but you wont find one so thoroughly updated and ready to enjoy. you can buy the bargain boat then put a barrel of money and work in it...or...you can buy the one that is already done and ready to enjoy with no work required. just add wind
I definitely agree that boat condition is a big factor in determining the selling price of a boat and I don't want to imply that this boat might not be worth it to billsails2. But I also think it's important to know what the range of recent list and selling prices are for this model so that a buyer has a benchmark for comparison. Also, some people actually enjoy bringing a boat in poor condition back to its former glory. Other's would prefer to have it in pristine condition when they buy it. It sounds like yours is one that would save the buyer the time and energy to fix it up themselves. I hope you find a buyer that can appreciate all of your efforts.

By the way, if you haven't listed it on the SBO website, I would encourage you to do so. I sold an O'Day 222 there several years ago, and it sold quickly and for close to the asking price.

Dave
s/v Lagniappe
O'Day 25

Status
Not open for further replies.