Identifing Wood Used

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stirling Hasen

I have a 1982 Hunter 54, but this applies to most of the Hunters built in the era. What kind of interior plywood was used, ie the veneer? Oak, Mahogany, Cherry, Teak?

T

TOM MANALILI

Teak ply 1/2" thk. NM

1982 27' teak with bronze phillips wood screws, no staples

E

Ed Schenck

Another opinion.

I have only cut one hole in the woodwork of my 1979 H37C, a six-incher through the bulkhead between the aft and main cabin. That was 3/4 inches of solid teak. And I know the three doors are solid teak. So I don't think you can say with any certainty. My guess is it changed from year to year. A cabinetmaker could probably tell you. Are you sure that it is veneer?

S

Stirling Hasen

Engine Compartment (A Better Mouse trap)

Actually, I was concerned about the Engine Compartment. I plan on ripping my original engine/galley sink enclosure out. My Current engine enclosure is about 32" deep 55" wide and 35" high. It has 3 Sides and top with the back wall being a center bulkhead. I plan on building about a 2" square perimeter frame (oak, or mahogany) that can be removed with a few screws. The sides (left, front, right) will be teak plywood. The sides will still have the normal hatches for quick access. But the sides will also be countersunk with protecting countersunk stainless steel washers. These panels will machine screw to the perimeter frame. (Saw the countersunk stainless washers on an Oyster's floor boards this last fall at Annapolis). The top will be marine plywood about 3/4" thick with a sink and a tile surface. The top will be hinged with a piano style hinge attached to the back wall so it can tilt up about 30 degrees. This whole enclosure will allow easy and COMPLETE access to the engine. No more human pretzel manuvering!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.