Ideas on selling a sailboat?

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
Just getting started here. Thanks for the feedback. The maintenance has been excellent, have all the receipts.
As a part-time broker, my 2 cents is: make sure everything in and on the boat is sparkling clean, make sure everything in or on the boats works, and finally, most importantly, price it right. "Right" means not what you think the boat is worth, but what a buyer would be willing to pay.

Nov 17, 2012
Hunter 37.5 Cherubini Bayfield, WI
Hi Warren - You knew me years ago as Capt Grumpy. I've divorced "her" and moved on from Hunter 40.5 to this 1980 37.5 Cherubini. Any idea of fair value? You guy's were great BTW, solved many problems for me. jhhuonder@hotmail.com

Nov 17, 2012
Hunter 37.5 Cherubini Bayfield, WI
I need a Datamarine S-200DL depth finder head unit. It kept fading until it became unreadable.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
All I can add is know your boat, how the systems work, the specs and what all the switches do. As a first time sailboat buyer I was demotivate by sellers who didn't know their boat.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
I used SBO to sell both our previous boats for more than they were valued at BECAUSE we maintained and updated them, they were visually pleaseing and good quality boats (Both Catalinas). When we took photos they were Clean, waxed, cetoled, varnished and bottom jobed. We manuals for both and extras. You have to put EFFORT into selling as much as you would buying. NEVER photo the inside of any boat with beer cans,cleaning products, or lines laying around helter skelter.
Take a photo and let your wife look at it and ask her if she would buy it!

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I spent five minutes on our local Craigslist, and found two examples - one for and one against:
C&C 33 asking $8K - looks like a project; ladders and tools visible; telling prospective buyers they are paying for many weekends of work: https://saginaw.craigslist.org/boa/d/port-huron-cc-33/6847773480.html They even say there is much more work to be done in the ad - you don't get extra points for brutal honesty.

Catalina 25 asking $10K - looks sail-away ready; pictures show latest work (no need to look through receipts); everything clearly labeled, calling attention to details that non-sailors would miss: https://saginaw.craigslist.org/boa/d/grand-river-25-sailboat/6848668643.html

I agree with @Alansails , have a non-sailor look at your ad and see if they can figure it out. BTW: after you've landed your fish, please send us the results!