Ideas for how to straighten the rubber packing box hose (shaft log hose)?

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
My stuffing box is bronze. And yes you can pull the coupling off and re- fit a hose- I had to shorten mine slightly to make room to slide it on. ( that was the time I replace the hose only, not the cutless bearing- so didn't raise the motor etc.) Thanks for the beer thought:)

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Ken - I see. I only need to create enough space between the prop and transmission to remove the old stuffing box and slide the new one in. I didn't realize that. So if I can get the shaft mating flange off, just slide the shaft back six inches or whatever, remove the current box and tube and replace, bolt it back up?
That's right. The challenge is getting the flange off without damaging it or the flange on the transmission. I used a borrowed puller made from 1/2 inch steel plate. It would be easy to fabricate.

Putting the flange back on I heated the flange on the stove to 350 degrees then held it against the transmission flange to keep it straight and had a buddy tap on a block of wood held against the prop shaft to seat it. This is a tight fit even with the heat.

Doing this you still risk needing to have the flange trued in a machine shop. I didn't have to do that.

Ken

Sep 13, 2016
Hunter 30 Marina del Rey
Hey guys, I have a 1978 H30 that needs some work. Can all the repairs that you are talking about be done in the water? For example....dropping the skeg or replace the stuffing box