IdaSailor Unifoil Conversion to Gas Strut

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John S

I wanted the convenience of a gas strut hold up/down on my new Unifoil. Today I welded the bracket and drilled and installed the lower clevis for the gas strut ends. I chose to use a rod end and a clevis on the lower rotating point. I moved the center pivot point of the rudder aft to the next hole in the unifoil bracket to give space for the gas strut when it is folded up. By positioning the lower clevis piece correctly, the gas strut holds the rudder down with enough force to keep it in place, and also holds the rudder up when it travels overcenter. If the rudder contacts an obstruction while sailing, it will give and return to its normal position, without drama. One can sail up on a beach and only worry about the dboard retraction, the rudder will be fine. I still need to find a good way to pull the rudder up. It is not hard to do, but the hole on the trailing edge of the rudder is in the water when sailing and I don't like that. I am dreaming up a handle configuration that will be easy for the sailor leaning over the back of the transom. John S

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.