ICW Masthead Bridge Videos

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
We‘re back from a year of cruising from southern New England to Maine, down to the Bahamas, and back. On the east coast northbound my wife and I went outside when weather was favorable and inlet hopped into the ICW when that was preferable.
There were parts of the ICW we had to avoid because we need 64’6” air clearance, and there are some fixed bridges that are rarely that high. Others are tide-dependent or near the Albemarle/Pamlico sounds favorable wind direction/strength is needed to provide that much water level clearance.
This wasn’t my first experience with this, so I decided to install a wireless masthead camera that sits just above the anchor light. It greatly reduced anxiety. As we approached, if I could see shadow or additional beams beneath the closest beam (from that level) it meant that the camera would clear. (We didn’t encounter any slanted decks). I wasn’t worried about the whip VHF antenna, and in many cases we scraped it along the bottom of the bridge (you can hear the ping sound in some of the videos).
Here’s a link to a YouTube playlist with the videos.
ICW Bridges

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Great idea! We're lucky, our mast is only 53' above the waterline. Bridge and power line heights are always very deceptive, regardless of the height there are moments when it looks like you will hit.

Jun 14, 2010
REOLINK Argus 3 Ultra, 4K Solar. The solar panel is mounted near the cam on the side of the mast, and the cam is on the masthead top plate on an aluminum bracket I made using stock aluminum bar 1/2” wide x 1/8” thick, bent to form a bridge that raises the cam just higher than the anchor light (so the light isn’t occluded by the cam).
Reolink is the only wireless cam brand I found that doesn’t require an internet connection to function. If the viewing phone or tablet is on the same local WiFi network router you can watch the cam without using Internet. That translates to lower latency, and higher availability in remote places. Cheaper connection costs too if on a metered network (e.g. prepaid SIM card).

Jul 8, 2012
Catalina 36 MKII North East
Thanks for the information. It looks like your camera pans left to right in the Diamond Causeway video but the info on the Argus 3 Ultra appears to be a fixed camera. Mounting a pan and tilt like to Argus PT 4K may complicate things too much though.
Any thoughts on whether the p & t is worthwhile?

Jun 14, 2010
Any thoughts on whether the p & t is worthwhile?
It is worthwhile. The first cam that I used was the Argus PT 4k but I found out the hard way it could not be mounted upside down because that inverted position defeated the waterproof design. So that was a fail for me. No simple way to mount PT above the anchor light in the waterproof orientation.