Icebox lid arm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 30, 2007
Hunter 36 Forked River, NJ
The mechanism in the arm that holds my C28 mkII icebox lid open, then when lifted a little releases to close has been broken. A very important crew member pushed it up a little too far. It now has a little twist in it, and might be beyond repair. Has anyone repaired or replaced this part? If replaced, where did you find it?

Nov 30, 2007
Hunter 36 Forked River, NJ
why not call Catalina?

Stu, My first inclination is to try to repair it; if it can be done, I'm a little more confident someone in this forum would know how to do it (and possibly even have pictures of their repair), than someone at Catalina. Failing that, I've got the replace option, and I would most certainly talk with someone at Catalina (whenever they call me back).

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I hear ya. I was responding to the "If replaced, where did you find it?" part of your question. If it's a gas strut type of arrangement, it's rare to be able to fix it given your description of its damage.

We used these hatch holders on our fridge lid, 'cuz Catalina didn't make the struts back when they built our boat. They later employed struts on the corian counters on C42s and perhaps your boats and others, but they didn't on the new C34 Mark IIs. We have a Mark 1 without the corian. Works great for us.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...true&storeNum=5000&subdeptNum=24&classNum=487

Status
Not open for further replies.