IceBox Insulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oston

Aug 15, 2012
Catalina 28 Mkii San Diego
Does anyone know if the icebox on a 2004 Cat28Mkii is insulated. And, if not any suggestions on how to go about fixing...:cry:

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Does anyone know if the icebox on a 2004 Cat28Mkii is insulated. And, if not any suggestions on how to go about fixing...:cry:
I'm glad you asked, I don't seem to see any on the C27 1984 vintage ice box either. A small bag of ice does seem to last all day. Its hard to imagine not surrounding with insulation. Perhaps it is doulbe lined so the insulation is not visible.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
No, it is not. Catalina didn't insulate any of its boxes. They were originally designed as "ice boxes" and folks added mostly Adler Barbour units to them. One of the first things a lot of skippers do is add insulation. Beware of spray foam, it can expand rapidly and break the box.

I've been sailing our C34 for 14 years, haven't gotten around to insulating the box. My weather kinda allows it, but I installed a much bigger house bank system so the load doesn't impact me too much. That's another way around the electrical draw.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
No, it is not. Catalina didn't insulate any of its boxes. They were originally designed as "ice boxes" and folks added mostly Adler Barbour units to them. One of the first things a lot of skippers do is add insulation. Beware of spray foam, it can expand rapidly and break the box.

I've been sailing our C34 for 14 years, haven't gotten around to insulating the box. My weather kinda allows it, but I installed a much bigger house bank system so the load doesn't impact me too much. That's another way around the electrical draw.
Stu, do you line the inside with insulation or the outside of the box. ON my Luger 30 I found 2.5" open cell foam panels glued to the outside of the box.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Frank, I didn't do mine. Others have put insulation outside the box to maintain the space inside, although i have heard of others lining the inside.

Jon_E

Mar 19, 2011
Catalina 27 Marina del Rey
When ice is in the ice box, make sure the drain is closed, opening it only briefly to let the melt drain out. Otherwise saltwater percolates up into the box and melt your ice faster than usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.