Icebox Drain

Aug 4, 2006
Catalina 309 Cutter Marina, Chesapeake Bay
Where does the icebox drain on a C309 ? This is the the galley compartment just forward of where the trash door is located. Is there a valve somewhere? Thanks in advance.

Jun 4, 2009
Catalina 309 Swantown Marina Olympia, WA
Does your boat have an ice box? Mine is an early model #20 and that area is just dry storage like the one next to the sink, There is no drain in mine.

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
Catalina made that dry storage area a drained icebox starting with hulls in the mid to late 20's. My former boat was #14 and also had dry storage in that compartment (with no drain).

Oct 30, 2011
Catalina 309 Fort Myers
The ice box drains into the bilge. On a different Catalina, the owner piped it to his shower sump but that's a long run.

Aug 4, 2006
Mine is #105, 2007 vintage. Next to the galley sink, there is a dry storage area, and farther aft is an icebox with a drain. That drain is what I am wondering about. I am not seeing how it runs to the bilge. During last usage, the melted ice did not drain. Guess the only way I'm going to know where it goes is to remove the wooden insert area near the deck to check it out.

Oct 30, 2011
Catalina 309 Fort Myers
Mine is a 2008 309 (for sale btw). My icebox is next to the fridge, just to port of the door to the trash can. It drains to bilge. I just they had some design changes.

Aug 4, 2006
Finally figured out the icebox drain on my 309 (#105, '07). I called and spoke to Gerry Douglas at Catalina, and he really couldn't tell me how it drained. Some folks mentioned it goes to the bilge in their boats, so I checked and couldn't verify the same on mine. As it turns out, and as rk6johnson mentioned earlier, the drain line is run forward to the head and connected to the shower sump, with a Y-valve to select the icebox or shower to drain. This was apparently how it was manufactured at Catalina. Guess it was optional at the time. Glad to finally figure it out!

Feb 21, 2013
Catalina 309 Newport NSW
Where does the icebox drain on a C309 ? This is the the galley compartment just forward of where the trash door is located. Is there a valve somewhere? Thanks in advance.
My 309 is Hull 109 build 2007. In my boat the Ice Box is pumped out by the same pump that drains the shower sump. In the cupboard below the hand basin in the head is a 3-way valve, one setting is to drain the shower sump the other the Ice Box. Check that the filter on this pump is clean. With earlier 309's the Ice Box drained into the bilge. Make sure you operate the 3-way valve for the shower sump as there is another 3-way valve for the toilet discharge if a holding tank is fitted.

Jan 3, 2017
Catalina 309 Ca
New to the forum, but out of curiosity, I checked the ice boxes on my 309 and neither had a drain. That said, I did locate a hose that drains into the bilge (it empties into the bilge at the access panel just in front of the stairs). I tried to follow it to see where it may lead, but was only able to confirm that it goes aft? Anyone know what that may be draining? Thanks in advance.

Apr 13, 2015
Catalina 309 Port Charlotte
Hi Trade Winds - welcome aboard!

Does your boat have air conditioning? the condensation drain on my is a hose that ends approx where you describe. if you turn the A/C on and it's humid (might be hard to do in winter), after a bit that hose should start dripping....

hope that helps - Dave

Jan 3, 2017
Catalina 309 Ca
Thanks Dave. No A/C on my 309. I'm wondering if it's drainage for the large cockpit compartment, which is deep enough where it may need to drain somewhere below the waterline? My bilge is usually dry and have noticed that it's getting water when it rains. Other than that, I'm not sure what might be that far aft that would require drainage.

Cheers!

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
While you are investigating your ice box drain hose consider this: Arrange a small trap in your drain hose by elevating a portion of that hose just enough, say 1", to leave part of the hose blocked with drain water. This has the effect of preventing air circulation through your ice box. Without this trap warm air enters at the lid of your box while cold air falls down through the ice, through the drain hose and on into the bilge. This continuous circulation quickly melts your ice.

Jun 4, 2009
Catalina 309 Swantown Marina Olympia, WA
Trade winds The hoses below the ladder is the access point to drain the pressure water system. The 2 hoses that go to the stern are for your cockpit shower.