ice makers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
There was a long discussion about this same topic a couple of weeks ago which you might archives. Don't buy the cheapest one. I have one of the $200 versions depicted in your link which has worked great for years. My dock neighbor bought the $129 version and has had to replace it twice (so far). Regardless of which you buy, unless you have a generator, don't plan on using it off batteries.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Interesting. Went looking for specs and found this: http://www.2manytoyz.com/icemaker.html . Only spec is something between 100 and 160 watts from your inverter. So 1 amp of AC or about 10 amps per hour from the batteries. Not too efficient away from shorepower.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 376 Oyster Bay, LI, NY
just out of curiosity, how long does it take to make ice cubes? Is this a deal where you'd have to start the genset an hour or more before "sundown" to make enough cubes for cocktail hour? And when you kill the power, how long would the cubes "stay" before reverting to cold water?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
just out of curiosity, how long does it take to make ice cubes? Is this a deal where you'd have to start the genset an hour or more before "sundown" to make enough cubes for cocktail hour? And when you kill the power, how long would the cubes "stay" before reverting to cold water?
In my experience, you can have useable ice in an hour. Once filled with ice (3 hours), it will stay useable all day off shore power.
I never looked at the power rating label but observed my unit sucks about 20 amps at 12V.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
boat neighbor has an icemaker and it makes it's first batch (small ice) in 10 minutes. Then continues to keep the box full.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
I have a freezer/refrigerator on board that basically runs off my dual 130w solar panels. I make ice in about an hour with conventional ice trays. No genset needed. In fact I have a 5000kw engine driver generator that I rarely use.

I love being able to sit in the cockpit in that remote anchorage and have a bowl of ice cream:dance:

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
The ice maker I have makes tube type ice that falls into a tray over the water reservoir. It makes about 5 tubes in about 10 minutes and continuously there after. They melt and the water drips down to be recycled. They are rather quick to melt in a drink unlike the tray cubes you can make in your freezer that are solid. You will not be able to turn it on and supply ice for a group. At least that is my experience. You can make a bag full and freeze them but we use the stand up trays that came with the freezer to make large fully frozen cubes that last through a few drinks in Turvis tumblers.

Status
Not open for further replies.