Ice Makers....

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hello all,
Was wondering what small ice makers people have experience with on their boat. While we have never had a need for one due to convenience of being able to purchase ice, was wondering for the future when we away from dockage more and may have a need. I see many small units available......

btw the nominal power used for this would not be an issue.

Thanks
Greg

BobH57

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 410 Solomons, MD
I have a small Frigidaire countertop ice maker that I've been happy with. Think it was about a hundred bucks at Wally World.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I have a small Frigidaire countertop ice maker that I've been happy with. Think it was about a hundred bucks at Wally World.
Yea I see a bunch in that price range on-line that all look pretty comparable. Never heard of Wally World outside of National Lampoon......

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I have flirted with the idea of an icemaker as well. I cannot find a 12V ice maker and, so far, I have resisted getting an inverter. By the time I consider the cost of the icemaker plus the inverter and then add the power used and the fact that I have to store the icemaker when not using it, I have concluded that I would rather get a nice Yeti cooler (which I can use for many things) and buy ice. I will revisit in two years and probably reach the same conclusion again.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
An ice maker is on our wish list. Once I earn enough points on Amazon, we'll add it. It will be nice to have ice in the rum on a hot summer day.

At the dock power won't be an issue. Power off the dock will come from a small 150 watt pure sine wave inverter. Also useful for charing the laptop, power tool batteries, and other small rechargeable devices that can't be charged from USB or 12v. The inverter was an easy install and fairly inexpensive around $100.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
If you've got a small/tall evaporator like mine, these make excellent cubes, but are quite expensive.

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
I bought something like this a few years ago. Works great when I have shore power. I have a Yeti cooler to hold ice for days when I'm on the hook. The ice maker keeps up fine for cocktails and such, not sure if you want ice for the cooler or for Dark and Stormy's.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
We had one and threw it away after a while. It made very soft tube ice that melted too quickly, It would crank out about 6 tubes every 10 minutes. They fall into a tray where they slowly melt and the water recycles. In a hot boat, we thought they melted too fast and took up too much space. We just freeze water in a bag and whack it with a winch handle. When we leave the dock I take a bag of ice from home and bungee it to the outside of the vertical freezer. Keeps them several days. Works with frozen steaks too.