Ice Maker on 460

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DanaT

My Solution

I just use the icemaker on the 42 cubic foot refrigerator freezer that I put on my boat. It uses AC but I just run the generator all day and night to keep it running. My wife just hates twisting those plastic cube trays.

M

M. Watton

icemaker, cocktails anyone?

Don't pay any attention to that last response....I'm willing to bet there are a lot of Hunter owners that like to have all the gadgets! Depending on the answer you find in the forum, maybe I'll try it on my 376??? PS - I hate to admit but most of my cruising is done at the slip.

P

Peggie Hall/HeadMistress

My boat is a stinkpot, but...

I put an icemaker on it. They only run on 115, and they draw a LOT of current. However, it'll make a full "bucket" (11 lbs) of ice overnight...and because it's made at below -0-, it's much harder ice than bagged ice so it lasts much longer. I seldom need more in a weekend than it stores. The most important issue is insulation...they are NOT well insulated, so plenty of extra insulation is needed if the ice is gonna hold through a weekend without running the icemaker. I was losing it in a day till I added 4" of foam around it. It's also very important that it be installed in a space that has adequate ventilation for the motor...I put mine under a dinette seat, so there's plenty of space behind it. U-Line and Raritan make almost identical icemakers...I don't know whether U-Line has a website, but you can check out all the specs--power consumption, wiring requirements, dimensions, etc--on the Raritan website at http://www.raritaneng.com. Ice makers are nice "bell & whistle" on a boat...once you've had one, it's hard to do without.

W

Warren Blanchard

Why Ice Maker ?

Thanks for the replys. I forgot to point out that our boat will be in the Bahamas where a bag of ice goes for $4. I think a properly installed ice maker would be a very nice addition, especially with three couples on board. On the other hand, at a cost of around $800 I could buy 200 bags of ice, which would cool down a lot of rum and cokes and not have to worry about running the genset all the time. I think I just talked myself out of it. By the way, just how efficient is the 460's on-board freezer at making ice cubes? The unit on our previous 376 never got cold enough to keep frozen food frozen, much less make ice.

B

bill walton

icemaker

I have a friend who also owns a P42 and has been cruising the Caribbean the past couple of years. He has an icemaker aboard and raves about being able to have ice anywhere he decides to anchor even if he's not close to a marina or harbor. He also very popular at some anchorages when folks find out he's got ice. I guess that's a plus/minus situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.