Ice box drain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 3, 2010
Hunter 27-3 Erie
We recently purchased an Islander 28 and are trying to get a feel for the systems on the boat. One of the many things I am curious about is just where the ice box drain is plumbed in to? We got the boat through a broker, the original owner has been a little less than cooperative when it comes to providing details, either that or he just does not know.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
usually just goes straight to bilge..should be a loop in the line

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Yep. Once owned an Islander 28 and I believe it drained right into the old bilge. Yum yum Many boats do, you know. C&C's always prided themselves with a ice box pump which sent it over board. But, not that big a deal.

Jun 19, 2010
Morgan classic 41 South Daytona Beach, Fl.
Just sold my Islander 28 in Jan. It goes to the bilge, entering from the rear of the bilge compartment. If you want a dry, clean, unsmelly bilge, as I did, freeze water in milk jugs or large tupperware containers, and/or use some dry ice which will keep frozen stuff frozen for a long time. (In summer, in NC, 3 peices of dry ice and 2 gal. jugs kept cold for 13 days. My Sara Lee cake was still frozen.)

COOL

Feb 16, 2009
Islander 30 mkII Downtown Long Beach
My Islander 30 has a short piece of hose,
in the cabinet under the sink, with a drain
valve on the end.

Jun 3, 2010
Hunter 27-3 Erie
sure enough, straight to the bilge

I traced the hose back and around through the sink locker and into the bilge. If we were cruising the frozen jugs would work fine, however I usually head to the boat from work. We have ice machines at our club, but I am really not happy with the melt water going into the bilge. Plumbing to the sink drain is out, the icebox is lower so would fill with sink water. I sure hate to add another through hull. Anyone have any ideas on a fix?

Jun 3, 2010
Hunter 27-3 Erie
Icebox drain issue resolved.

I plumbed a "T" into the galley sink drain hose just below the sink strainer, as close as I could get to the bottom of the sink. This T is constructed of a PVC T, a threaded hose barb is threaded into the side of the T pointing to the back of the cabinet under the sink. I purchased a 12v marine utility pump from from Harbor Freight, two garden hose x hose barb adapters from the home store and a 12v brass starter button with rubber cover from Advance Auto Parts. The pump is attached to the back of the cabinet, the old hose was cut and placed on the intake side of the pump, outlet side is plumbed with the remaining old hose to the T on the drain. the starter switch is a "momentary on" when pushed style, mounted in the front of the galley cabinet just over the door on the left. This is trickey so don't start drilling holes until you make sure the switch clears the sink inside. I connected the red lead to the starter switch and Shower Sump breaker, black lead to the 12v negative bus bar. Pump draws 10amps so use a good sized wire. This should help keep the bilge dry and smelling sweeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.