Ice box drain pump

Aug 31, 2004
Oday 322 St Clair Shores
On my 322, I have an ice box drain pump that leaks at the base. I have tried to take it apart but can't find the source of the leak. Has anyone worked on this?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Why would an ice box drain need a pump? That's a serious question...'cuz it's the first one I've ever heard of. Almost all the ones on larger boats drain via gravity into a sump--typically a shower sump--or into the bilge, leading to discussions about what to do about the problems that causes. Most small boat owners just use a dinghy pump or shop vac. So who--with the possible exception of a previous owner who didn't know any better--would have installed an ice box drain pump on your boat?

Peggie

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
On my 322 the ice box drains from the bottom of the ice box, up, to the galley sink. It has a manual self priming pump to pull the ice water up to drain in the sink. I would prefer this arrangement to using gravity to put the water in the bilge. The notion of routing the water to the shower sump sounds nice, but I'd need to plumb it to the other side of the cabin.

David11038, I'd be interested in seeing a pic of your setup if you can post one. Getting to the bottom of the ice box on our boat is a big PITA!

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I agree...you do NOT want it to drain into the bilge! But how difficult would it be to run the icebox drain line to tee into the galley sink drain line low enough in it to create a downhill run?

Gene S

Nov 29, 2015
Delphia 37 Tacoma
On my boat the ice box drain is connected to a foot pump that has a valve that you can either drain it or switch the spare sink faucet to salt water.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE="Peggie Hall HeadMistress, post: 1455176, member: 35248. So who--with the possible exception of a previous owner who didn't know any better--would have installed an ice box drain pump on your boat?[/QUOTE]

Beneteau :)

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I agree...you do NOT want it to drain into the bilge! But how difficult would it be to run the icebox drain line to tee into the galley sink drain line low enough in it to create a downhill run?
O'Day used a hand pump as OEM too. I think the problem is that the bottom of the ice box was low enough that if it drained to the sink drain water could back up into the ice box.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
So who--with the possible exception of a previous owner who didn't know any better--would have installed an ice box drain pump on your boat?Peggie
Catalina. All larger Catalinas that I have seen, including my own 36, have a self-priming foot pump at the base of the topload icebox / refrigerator. The bottom of the icebox is below the waterline, so you need to pump it 'over the top' to a T-fitting right below the galley sink so it will drain out. The pump is accessed by removing some cabinetry under the stove mount, and reaching around - not fun.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Even after 30+ years, I learn something new every day. :cool:
So, continuing my learning curve...all of you seem to be saying that using the pump--and especially replacing it or maintaining it-- is a PITA. Would it be any easier to just put a plug in the ice box drain and use a dinghy bailer--the kind that has a bicycle pump with a hose--and a bucket to get the water out of it? (And btw, those pumps are a LOT less expensive in the HVAC section of a hardware store than they are at any marine retailer).

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
O'Day used a Fynspray pump that is very expensive. I rebuilt mine once when it stopped priming and it worked for a while. I needed to replace the drain fitting in my ice box as the hose barb cracked and it started leaking into the bilge. I went with Peggie's idea a few years ago. I use a drain plug with a cam lock to plug the drain fitting and just use a plastic cup to bail out the water into the sink. This is the KISS system. I use a sponge to get the last little bit of water and then the sponge can be used to wipe down the insides to clean them. Those hand pumps never get all the water out then you have to do what I do anyway to get the rest. Even the Fynspray pump never got all the water out so if you wanted the ice box dry when you leave the boat for a while you still had to sponge it out. Leaving sitting water is a recipe for mold and mildew and fungi, very disgusting.

May 17, 2004
using the pump--and especially replacing it or maintaining it-- is a PITA
Yeah it is. Especially because ice cold water changes the sizes of all the pump parts and adds friction. Pumping becomes a forearm workout in the best case and unmanageable after the pump gets old and worn out. We added a cheap harbor freight DC powered pump in the drain line. Wasn't elegant buy it was an improvement.

Aug 31, 2004
Oday 322 St Clair Shores
Interesting responses. I like being able to pump out the icebox and the pump works well except for a leak at the base of the pump on the countertop (see photo to right of faucet). Since the unit looked like it was original I thought others may have found a way to access the gasket/washer. I'd like to repair if possible so I don't have to wipe off the counter each time I drain the icebox.
icebox drain.png

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have that same pump on my O’Day 322. Mine doesn’t seem to hold a prime, so I took it out and took it home to work on it. There is a packing nut under the black know. Did you try tightening that ? You may need to add some packing in there. Or oil it (not sure if the packing needs to be oiled periodically (like a Coleman lantern or as stove).

If I remember, the top fitting (the part that mounts to the counter) unscrews from the pipe that extends down under the sink. Maybe that pipe needs to be tightened or some TFE tape put on it.

Remove the hose from the bottom of the pump, unscrew the 3 screws that hold it to the counter and remove the assembly. Then you can see what is leaking. I put mine in a sink of water and pumped it to ensure operation. Maybe you will be able to see where it is leaking.

Greg

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
Why would an ice box drain need a pump? That's a serious question...'cuz it's the first one I've ever heard of. Almost all the ones on larger boats drain via gravity into a sump--typically a shower sump--or into the bilge, leading to discussions about what to do about the problems that causes. Most small boat owners just use a dinghy pump or shop vac. So who--with the possible exception of a previous owner who didn't know any better--would have installed an ice box drain pump on your boat?

Peggie
My Beneteau has one, runs off the bilge pump ,with changeover valve located under the starboard side settee.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
On my E26-2 I fitted a small Shurflo pump that I bought off of eBay for about $25 for draining my ice box. It drains through a small spigot into the sink. Originally the ice box just dumped into the bilge, which I did not like for obvious reasons. Tee'ing into the sink drain would not have worked because on starboard tack the water would back up into the ice box.

For the last several years I've had no problems with this little pump, and if I ever do it's quite inexpensive to replace.

Mar 18, 2016
O'Day 1983 O'Day 30 Rockland, Maine
My O'Day 30 icebox drains into the bilge, which has an automatic pump on it. Never been a problem in Maine waters. Could someone please outline what is disagreeable about this arrangement?

May 17, 2004
My O'Day 30 icebox drains into the bilge, which has an automatic pump on it. Never been a problem in Maine waters. Could someone please outline what is disagreeable about this arrangement?
Don't ever spill milk (or most anything else organic) in your icebox. Your bilge won't smell especially good. Especially if it spills without you noticing then come to the boat after it's been closed up for a while.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
BTW here is a better picture [/ATTACH]
That is the Fynspray pump. Here's a link....note the cost. Also note 50 STROKES PER GALLON! Quite a workout as 8 pounds of ice is a gallon. This is a rebuild kit, 23 bucks for a couple of seals. Pretty outrageous. https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|51|2234222|2234224&id=2011257
https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|51|2234226|2234237&id=199032

The vertical actuation of the pump with the friction of the seals makes it difficult to use and tiring, also tends to be a Knuckle cracker on the wood rim around the sinks. You might want to try a flipper pump like this one instead of screwing around with that fynspray pump any more.. https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|51|2234226|2234237&id=157993