i60 Wind Instrument Failure

Feb 27, 2004
Hunter 335 North East, MD
So my wind instrument has begum to act weirdly with numbers up to 99 knots or no wind speed at all- sometimes point in the direction of the wind and sometimes not. I checked the volt readings (which I got from the forum and also Raymarine) from the mast head unit , at the junction from the mast and at the instrument and all the readings were comfortably within the appropriate parameters. So my instrument is probably faulty - I am out of warrenty so I would pay for repairs which I know is probably cheaper than buying a new unit- but I'm leaning to a new unit any thoughts from this august body about whihc direction to go

Thanks in advance

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
I'd go with a new unit. Had to replace when I bought the boat so I could sail her home. Then it went on the fritz about 8 years later, so got another new one.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Another happy Raymarine customer! I've sent both the masthead transducer and meter to Raymarine on several occasions for intermittent faults only to be told everything is fine, so I'm out gobs of shipping over the years and still had the intermittent faults..
I suggest you don't go with them again. There is much better gear and customer support out there. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time and effort installing any Raymarine product, even if it was given to me free.

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
So my wind instrument has begum to act weirdly with numbers up to 99 knots or no wind speed at all- sometimes point in the direction of the wind and sometimes not. I checked the volt readings (which I got from the forum and also Raymarine) from the mast head unit , at the junction from the mast and at the instrument and all the readings were comfortably within the appropriate parameters. So my instrument is probably faulty - I am out of warrenty so I would pay for repairs which I know is probably cheaper than buying a new unit- but I'm leaning to a new unit any thoughts from this august body about whihc direction to go

Thanks in advance
So the hypothesis here is that the mast head unit (transducer) is sound, but the readout unit down in your cockpit is faulty? I wonder if the easiest solution would be to just buy a used one from eBay. I would guess that the number of people who bail out on their wind unit b/c of the mast head transducer failure is greatly in the majority. I see a bunch on eBay for around $180. No idea if this is a good deal or not.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Could you borrow a display unit to verify where fault lies? If it's head unit, could you buy a replacement PCB from eBay and replace it?
That's what I did. It's not difficult to change the small PCB.

Ken Y

reworb

Apr 22, 2011
Beneteau 311 Ft Myers Beach
I'm having the same issues and I have the same results as Capta. I even had factory certified techs on my boat who couldn't figure out the problem, they even pulled new cables. I sent both the masthead and display in several times and was told there is nothing wrong even when I sent pictures of the ridiculous readings. I had Raymarine instruments in the late 1990s never had a problem with them. These new (i60) wind are about as functional as a bad tooth and cost about as much as going to the dentist. I would buy another brand.

Feb 27, 2004
Hunter 335 North East, MD
Thanks for the feedback- although not a huge Ray Marine fan- but to be fair the other instruments I have (depth, speed and auto pilot) all have been working fine- but a different wind is something I will ponder. Of course, as frequently happens the last two sails I took the instrument worked flawlessly go figure :banghead:. I will probably start pricing a replacement head as well as looking at other makers