I think my problem is just a bit obvious.

Jul 27, 2015
catalina 30 SF bay
Any ideas on how to repair this (see picture). Atleast good trheads still exist in the bottom bolt hole. Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I'm not sure what area needs to be repaired in your pic but I had shockingly good results wrapping teflon tape around a bolt before putting it into a stripped hole on my engine block. Still holding strong two years later

• Helpful
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Is this the area at issue? This looks like the base of the water pump, is that correct?
1707679538498.png

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Is the silver area a plate that needs to be sealed to the block or is there another piece that bolts on that needs to be sealed to the silver area? Are the three studs stripped?

Last edited:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
That's the surface where the raw water pump flange bolts on.. Common issue on M-25 and M-25XP engines. Salt water dripping from the weep hole on the water pump lands on that bottom left bolt and flat mounting surface. It corrodes the surface away around the bolt.
Since the threads are still good for that bolt, the concern would be that tightening the bolt could cause that ear on the pump flange could crack.
I've read of owners cleaning the area really well and using something like JB Weld to rebuild the flat surface and around that area to rebuild thickness.

• Helpful
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I've read of owners cleaning the area really well and using something like JB Weld to rebuild the flat surface and around that area to rebuild thickness.
I had to do that but JBWeld is ineffective for that application. I used DEVCON. Comes in large cans or small tubes. They're not bolts, they're studs into the engine gear case cover.

KCofKC

Sep 6, 2010
Catalina 28TR MKI 317 Smithville
Brad, apparently it is not as obvious to us as it is to you. It might be helpful for us if we knew the boat, looks like you sail a Catalina 30, year would be nice, engine would be nice, does look like a photo of a water pump mount with a bunch of ugly cruddy crap at the bottom. While it does look like you have a clean gasket surface it would be helpful for a better description. Is the bolt stripped? The lower one looks like a bolt not a stud, so has it been stripped out before and a bolt been tapped in as a fix and now it's an issue. So personally I need a better idea of what your trying to accomplish, my crystal ball is a bit foggy from the cold weather.