I think I just bought a 30.

Mar 2, 2014
Catalina 22 Ocean Springs, MS
Offer accepted. 1979 in great shape, though I've yet to see the bottom.

Why is the Bimini so low? I can't stand up straight!

EDIT: anyone living aboard on the Florida west coast? That's where I hope to end up.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Low bimini could be to clear the boom or the previous owner was short.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats on the new to you boat. You sound surprised. My bank would know if I bought a new boat.
Choose your new home wisely. The west coast waters vary a bit in depth. You may find there is a long channel you need to follow off shore in order to find deep enough water to sail unencumbered.

Mar 2, 2014
Congrats on the new to you boat. You sound surprised. My bank would know if I bought a new boat.
Choose your new home wisely. The west coast waters vary a bit in depth. You may find there is a long channel you need to follow off shore in order to find deep enough water to sail unencumbered.
My account will know soon. Yes, I’m looking at Marinas now, which is a day late, of course.

Oct 22, 2014
Never too late... But it does get you to improve your anchoring skills.

A couple of years ago I watched a YouTube vid of a guy who anchored out in the river near a marina. Would dinghy in to get breakfast and use the facilities. Not sure if he paid the marina anything, except for the beer that he enjoyed from the bar.

Mar 2, 2014
Never too late... But it does get you to improve your anchoring skills.

A couple of years ago I watched a YouTube vid of a guy who anchored out in the river near a marina. Would dinghy in to get breakfast and use the facilities. Not sure if he paid the marina anything, except for the beer that he enjoyed from the bar.
Just got back from Ft Myers and Englewood. I was surprised how cool the weather was. I guess I expected heat until December, though it's definitely warm in the daytime. I may have to live on the hook awhile until I find a marina that will take me. Some marinas have mooring balls for a small fee. There are also mooring fields.

Oct 22, 2014
I was surprised how cool the weather was.
Yes. @JamesG161 and I were just discussing that. The Hurricane season is drawing to a close and the chilly "Winds of November" are upon the waters.

Search out the anchorages. The forum was a buzz with the changes in anchorages in Florida about a year ago. Not sure what developed. I believe BoatsUS magazine had some comments about changes that were being considered.

Mar 2, 2014
I didn't buy the boat. I still need a boat.

I just wasn't comfortable with some features for living on her long term.

Oct 22, 2014
You need to be around a boat for a while to get to know what works and doesn't work for you.

You will soon understand that boats are a series of compromises you make live on the water.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
You need to be around a boat for a while to get to know what works and doesn't work for you.
I was fortunate in that regard. I was able to experience first hand, those compromises, while chartering the same model & vintage boat for approximately 60 charter days before I purchased my boat. Would doubt that many prospective buyers would have the opportunity to do that.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2014

You will soon understand that boats are a series of compromises you make live on the water.
Yeah I've pretty much decided on a Catalina 30 for a number of reasons. If I had money I'd buy a 34 with a walk through transom.

BigEasy said:
I was fortunate in that regard. I was able to experience first hand, those compromises, while chartering the same model & vintage boat for approximately 60 charter days before I purchased my boat. Would doubt that many prospective buyers would have the opportunity to do that.
I've been on a few, and on some 34s. I'm not confident enough to handle a 34 alone (nor do I have the cash for it right now). You did have a nice set of circumstances!

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Yeah I've pretty much decided on a Catalina 30 for a number of reasons. If I had money I'd buy a 34 with a walk through transom.
Catalina 30's are great boats, been around for a long time. Money withstanding, If you can drive a Catalina 30, you can certainly drive a 34!

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
If I had money I'd buy a 34 with a walk through transom.
If you're not aware, 1989 (I believe) MKII's and newer (1993 or 1994) can be had with a walk thru transom before you get to the MkIIIs with the rounded transom and widened stern. There seems to be a jump in price for those MkIII"s.
Took me lots of searching to find mine with walk thru transom but they are out there.

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
Offer accepted. 1979 in great shape, though I've yet to see the bottom.

Why is the Bimini so low? I can't stand up straight!

EDIT: anyone living aboard on the Florida west coast? That's where I hope to end up.
First of all, congrats on the new to you boat and the very best of luck!
As far as the bimini being so "low", take a look at how far forward the bimini extends. Most every Cat30 I've ever seen, including mine, the front bar of the bimini frame ends about 4" from the end of the boom. This gives you the ability to raise the height of the bimini to about 6' or higher. If you have a dodger, a fill piece zips from the bimini to the dodger and runs under the boom. If you only have a bimini that runs from the stern, under the boom and reaches the forward edge of the cockpit, {eliminating the need of a dodger) you now have your answer.

Happy Sailing