I Stand In Awe

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Absolutely beautiful boat, wonderful craftmanship, too bad he never got to sail it very far.

Last edited:

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
Gorgeous. I really admire people who are able to manage something like that. I've always dreamt about it but I suspect I'm not the major-project type. I like to build things, but by a hundred hours on the same project I'm starting to want to work on something else.

[Check out how much younger he looks in the "Lofting" photos compared to the "Launch Day" photos!]

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
He died about 5 years after launching at 65 but never completely finished the boat. I'm sure his plan was to retire and sail off, sad he never made it. I wonder where the boat is now.
Ouch, that is rough. The website said he spent 28 years building the boat…that is some dedication and passion.

Greg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
that is some dedication and passion.
Some folks take on projects they never complete. At the least he got to see his float.

I‘ve always suspected that the need to see the task completed to perfection sometimes is in the way of getting a project functional.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
My Granddaughter is in a very expensive college. She recently took a course on Hollywood movies. IMHO her movie professor is a fraud. On the other hand, the man who imagined and then built Restless should be a college professor to show students how to apply their God given talents. No fraud, he.