I saw a S2 11.0A with mainsheet traveler cabintop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2011
S2 11.0A Kinsale
I recently saw a S2 11.0A with the mainsheet traveler on the cabin top deck. Interesting modification.

There are some advantages of having the mainsheet controls at the bridgedeck as it is much easier to access and release during gusts but I do sometimes curse at it, tends to be right in the way of the flow between the cabin and cockpit, and the mainsheet line being coiled up on the seat or floor is a little cumbersome.

I know of many Hunter 37 cutters that made this modification. (Bridgedeck to cabin top).

Any thoughts on this modification?

I had a Pearson 35 which had the wheel more in the front of the cockpit and the endboom mainsheet towards the back of the cockpit. Nice location for sailing with two people but having our small children on board was not fun at times. While tacking, the mainsheet would come across the cockpit and nearly take out one of our children... Some of the previous P35 owners converted to a cabin top, expensive modification and the P35 was not designed for the increased load on the boom.

Patrick

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Probably the best arrangement for the mainsheet traveler is right in front of the helm where the helmsperson can operate it without leaving his/her post. Also, the longer the traveler the better for mainsail leech twist in a wider range. But, that cuts up the cockpit for those who need the sunbathing space or are too lazy to step over it. The bridge deck might be the second best place as it is still not so far away while the cabin top is way too far away from the helmsperson. Also that may interfere with a dodger unless it is in front of the dodger. then the mainsheet will not interfere with the dodger.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Patrick, ours has the traveler moved to the cabin top. It's the original Nico Fico and going to replace it with a Harken. Only downsides are its away from the helm and it's farther forward on the boom so less mechanical advantage. I can post some pix but not for a week or so

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
cabin top traveler

Here's a shot of our traveler on the cabin top. the PO made it out of teak but Harken has the whole kit. I'm going to retain the teak as it's already made holes in the cabin top. The only weak spot is the PO did not use backing plates inside. Easy fix. Hope the pix works.

Attachments

Sep 29, 2011
S2 11.0A Kinsale
Thanks. Interesting teak bridge. I am going sail her for a while more and most likely purchase an entire kit towards the end of the summer. I think I would make the traveler track longer.

Thanks again Mark.
Patrick

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I agree the track could be longer. But, I'll live with it (at least for awhile). Also, when we bought this boat, both cabin windows below the traveler were cracked/actually broken and leaking. I had a question if this was caused by loads induced by the traveler on the cabin top. The surveyor did not think so and the local yard guys here did not think so either. And, it was pretty evident the boat had not been sailed much. Motored yes but not sailed.

Sep 29, 2011
S2 11.0A Kinsale
In reference to the cabin structure, I think you are most likely right. As previously posted, our previous sailboat, older Pearson 35 had a endboom mainsheet with a the wheel forward of the cockpit. Although the cockpit was 9', these two factors reduces the space within the cockpit as the mainsheet would swing across the cockpit. A few P35 owners moved the traveler to the cabin to free up the space in the cockpit but after some research and speaking with our boatyard mechanic, it was determine that the cabin top structure was not design strong enough for these loads. Most people sail in good and fair conditions, especially with coastal cruising sailboats, hardly ever seeing extreme gale winds so I believe the rig would never be completely tested. The test would be overtime, continuous load over the years.

I am one of those "most sail in good and fair conditions" since I have a nervous wife and two small children but you have to expect that you will see extreme conditions at some point, even with careful planning. Your concern with the S2 cabin top is also mine, and that is why I have not jumped on this and going to give it some more time leaving it the way it was designed.
Another note, my port and starboard windows were also cracked at the approximate location where your traveler is located. Could be a place where the hull flexes or a combination of cabin top loads and flexing.

Jul 24, 2011
S2 11 meter elk rapids, mi
my 11.0A traveler is cabin mounted and we've taken some big blows sailing up the west coast of Michigan with no problems. No problems with windows either. I have not had any difficulty bringing the lines back to the helm when necessary although I rarely single-hand the boat and crew find the cabin placement easy to maneuver.

Jun 27, 2012
S2 11.0a Old Hickory, TN
My 11A has a Garhaur traveler on the cabintop, installed by the PO. This boat is a recent purchase, so I really haven't put it to the test and have only been on inland lakes and rivers so far. It works great, although a bit inconvenient for single handing. Still, I like not having it in the way of the companionway. No structural problems noted and the backing plates on the inside are substantial. I'll see if I can post a couple pics. These pics were taken before I bought the boat.
Howard

Attachments

Sep 6, 2011
Hi Howard welcome aboard. I looked at photos of an 11.0a for sale in TN with a similar set up. Let us know how you like it. I'm torn on the idea and doing some other things while I ponder this point. We bought our 11.0 last year. Great boat so far. SC

Jun 27, 2012
S2 11.0a Old Hickory, TN
This is probably the very boat you were looking at, since there aren't very many in this area. I bought it in the spring, started the trip back in the summer (in 100+ temps), kept it at a couple of marinas for a few weeks along the way and finally got it home 3 weeks ago. 704 miles of Tennessee and Cumberland river. I feel like Huck Finn. So far, the main thing I don't like about it is the wimpy single speed main halyard winch. I'm wearing myself out!
But the traveler is great. I'll have to say the step up from a 27' to a 36' is quite a lesson. And I'm learning quite a bit from this site.
Fair winds.... Howard

Jtoben

Jan 14, 2011
S2 11.0a Holland, MI
For sail cruiser, here is a pic. Under load, the main sheet lines are very rigid, so it acts like a solid handhold underway.

image-2628464410.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.