I recently purchased a 1996 Hunter 280 with a water intake cooling question

Mar 25, 2019
hunter 280 gig harbor, wa
Where can I find/locate the cap for the water strainer/filter so I can look and insure there isn't any debris or seaweed infiltrating? Having a dickens of a time locating it. My engine is the 18 hp 2 GM. Thanks, Mike from Gig Harbor

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Not familiar with your boat but I would start at the thru hull and trace it to the engine. It should not be far from the water source.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats @Little Kai on your addition to your family. Welcome to the forum and to sailing the waters of the PacificNW. When in doubt on a boat always start a trace. As @Justin_NSA indicated, the water has to get into the boat somehow. Starting at the water in valve is a great place to start. When you find the strainer post a picture here.

You can look up possible water strainer images on the Fisheries Supply website (https://www.fisheriessupply.com) if you need to get examples of what they look like.
for example:
86184-sherwood-shw-raw-water-strainers-ppm-tif.jpg

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Rather than start randomly at a thru hull - start at the engine raw water pump and go backwards. The raw water comes in low on the left side while looking at the fan belts.

Les

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Ours is just behind the keel in front of the engine (bottom of the companionway stairs) bout the deepest part of the hull proper.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
On the H280, the strainer should be immediately behind (stern) the engine. Open the stair/engine cover, and remove the bilge cover just aft of the engine. The strainer and exhaust /muffler are under there.

Greg