I pulled my engine out a couple weeks ago.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Christmas had a Chrysler Nissan diesel installed in 1974 by the previous owner. After 8 years, I've found it to be a good engine. It's always smoked a bit and the last year started serving notice, even after replacing the injectors, that it needed attention. After some diagnosis, I decided it was general deterrioration due to age.

One of the problems with old boats is, stuff wears out. So what to do? I decided to look into rebuilding. I was happy with the engine and a I estimated a total repower to be more money than we needed to spend for how we use the boat. Also, as I would be doing the work myself, time involved in changing all related systems would at least equal the cost of the replacment in materials and my labor.

All parts are available for this engine to rebuild. So I went looking for a rebuilder. That turned out to be the problem. As a generally unfamiliar marine engine, I couldn't find someone locally I was confident in for the task. Many of these 4 cylinder Nissan SD-22 diesels were built from 1963 through the 80s. The original blocks was designed for industrial applications, generators, water pumps, etc. They were also used in forklifts (still are) as well as getting a marinized version by Chrysler. And then in 1981, Nissan offered the engine as an option for their pick up trucks. In my search for a rebuilder, I was directed to a Nissan mechanic. To make a long story short, he could not rebuild my SD-22, but he happened to have one at his shop. While at the dealership he serviced a lightly used truck from new and when the body rusted out after 70,000 miles, he bought it from the owner to use the engine in some sort of project. 6 years later, the project never happened. After hearing it run and checking it out, I bought it from him (1,000.00)

A used engine is a gamble but this one, with it's apparent history, seemed like a good choice. So far, this has been fun to do and highly educational as well. Pulling the old was quick and easy using the local yard crane. Once in my garage, I started removing the parts I would not need and refurbishing the marine parts I would reuse.

Compared to the compartment on a boat, working on an engine in a shop is a joy. Here, the old engine is hanging as the new waits on the floor behind.

The post mortum of the old engine revealed the surprising problem. In taking it down to the block, I noticed an odd play. When at top dead center, I could rotate the crankshaft a suspicious 5 or so degrees, left or right, without the timing gears moving. Upon taking the forward shaft nut, pulleys, sheeves, etc, there it was. The Woodruff key and keyway which is used to align the timing gear during assembly, had worn and elongated the slot to allow a pivoting of the key (shown in this photo with keys removed). Research found, the nut cones and washer must not have been correctly re-assembled at some point or under torqued which allowed this to happen. Of course, this would throw off the timing resulting in smoking. Sadly, the rest of the engine, cylinders and all, were in good condition.

Now that needed gaskets have arrived, I'll put the "new" engine together and drop it in my truck to take to the boat. This time has allowed me to clean up the engine compartment and apply some fresh paint to the area.

But before I put the replacment back in, I need to replace my cutlass bearing. With the engine out, I pulled the prop and slid the shaft out. I haven't removed the old yet, but I have yet to find a set screw on the original stern bearing. A nice set up all threaded bronze tube up through the stuffing box. I'll sand it down which may reveal the set screw(s). I notice what may be a dimple set by a drift on the end of the bearing. Could this have been how these stern bearings were designed?

Now that the cutlass is removed, I can answer my own question. There were no set screws in the bronze stern tube. The dimples turned out to be small machine bolts. Two pilot holes were drilled parallel to the shaft into the stern tube and cutlass bearing mating area. The small machine screws are then turned into this pilot hole. The threads engage both the stern tube and the cutlass bearing to keep it in place. After replacing, a few light sets with a punch over the small machine bolts locked them tightly.

Removing the cutlass bearing took careful sawzall and chisel/prying work. The stern tube which is bolted to the bronze shaft tube, has a recess milled in to receive the 1 5/8" x 4" cutlass bearing. (I had to cut flush a 4 1/2" bearing) There's no way to press it out.

Attachments

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Alden Caravelle 42 / Northern European waters
What a find Tom! Anyone have a lightly used ashore Perkins 4107 out there?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Iain McAllister said:
What a find Tom! Anyone have a lightly used ashore Perkins 4107 out there?
In all seriousness Iain, you should keep your eyes open for one. The irony of my situation was that after I had bought this one, a mechanic at Rockport Marine I was talking to recalled he had an engine in his shop. Under the same circumstance, he had a bought a good diesel with the intent of using it to build a generator. He never built the generator, and went to look at it after talking to me. You guessed it, another Nissan SD-22.
So they are out there. The trick would be to find one with a "history" and record. It may be worth taking it to a shop for an evaluation.

In looking into a repower, engines of similar size to mine (130 cu in, a bit large for my boat) cost 12-13k to start. What would really add up would be all the new systems and fitting of the new engine. With the high cost of boatyard labor (and any other skilled labor these days), it will be hard to see a repower with engines this size for under 20k. It could easily cost more. In fact, a quick estimate may be engine cost X2 with todays rising costs for a repower.

Had I bought a new engine, I would have installed it myself. I estimated at least 100 hours would be required on my part. In reality, it would be even more, it's a very extensive project. On a part time basis, it would require a long time.

A rebuild on the other hand was looking to come in around 3500.00. I realize now, almost all the work I am doing switching the parts (and refurbing, replacing, repainting, regasketing etc. etc) would be required as well. It's quite alot, but nothing compared to starting from scratch with a different engine. However, rebuilds can be as sketchy as a used engine if you're not careful.

The repower is the best way to go but at todays spiraling cost, alot of older boats and their owners may have to, or want to, find another way.

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Alden Caravelle 42 / Northern European waters
If I eventually go refurb route the agricultural industry here may be the best bet. The Perkins 4107 was popular here for smaller bailing and sugar beet harvesting machines; I buy my parts, filters etc from a wonderfully enthusiastic agricultural engineer here that never throws anything out and has neatly stored boxes of all kinds of things saved off old motors. Discovered this angel in 2003 when trying to find a needle in a haystack: a specially bent high pressure fuel line from pump to injector, on the same Saturday afternoon I was about to set off for the summer cruise. (The reason I'd got into that predicament is another story). But this is a very old model now - the original from 1966 - so the chances of finding a lightly used one are slim I guess.

If I'm feeling flush and eventually go the replace-with-new route I may well consider Beta Marine, a respected English company, well represented in USA it seems, who base their units on the well known reliable Kubota. They offer a special service for re-powering where they provide custom legs to fit the new motor to the existing beds. Presumably they must also offer some kind of adaptor to ensure the shaft lines up too? I haven't investigated properly yet as the old Perkins staunchly refuses to die, and each time I spend money on a major item I - of course, being Scottish - hope to see the benefit of it. This year it's the fully refurbished, no longer produced fuel pump. I've had Caravela of Exe 10 years now (can it be?) and have so far replaced: gear box, seawater pump, header tank, a few other misc small parts that I never had any problem finding, and had the two starter motors - also no longer available - refurbished (as a previous serial circumnavigator the boat came well equipped with the most likely needed spares).

But from my Peggy Bawn experiences with the Asmo electric motor, once hi-tec battery technology - especially the battery management systems - becomes reliable and safe enough, it'll not be long until electric is the way many of us go, especially considering that these are SAILING boats. Hybrid is just a passing phase. So maybe I'll hang on with the old Perkins until then...

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Finally, last week, it was time to put it back in the boat.

It took an hour with the crane and two guys from the marina to hoist it out of my truck. Oddly, it wanted to go in backwards this time (we spun it on the cable in the cabin) and took a bit longer than coming out. Once on the beds, I went to attaching the transmission, packing the stuffing box (I installed a new cutlass while the shaft was pulled out) and aligning the engine. Despite the same block, things move and alignment took some time. Then onto reconnecting hoses, wiring, exhaust, etc. etc.

After replacing the port half of the galley counter top, I had some woodwork to do. Redesigning some of the engine parts (pulleys, alternator bracket, etc), I was able to shorten it by two inches. This allowed pushing the companionway ladder and engine cover back those two inches. Not completely back as original, but improved now.

Then the moment of truth. After bleeding lines, the engine stammered a bit as I suspect air was cleared, then off it went. Smooth and without the plume of smoke we're accustomed to. All in all, a big project but should be worth it in years to come.

Attachments

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Now with a few hours use,

the engine swap appears to be a success beyond my expectations. It's easy to let an old engine slide. A little leak here, what's another there, and so on. With a clean engine, it's easy to see any leaks. It's also easier to work on a clean engine, it's a mental boost.

One of the biggest improvements may have come with the shaft alignment. I was unable to bring the coupling and shaft flange together without some force no matter how I adjusted the mounts. It took loosening an engine mounting plate and shimming it to bring the engine into the centerline with the shaft. This may have been present in the old engine to some extent(same block). Once over the tedious part of getting things close, I spent some extra time fine tuning until I was sure it was as close as I could get it. A short shaft makes it easy to detect any friction.

That alignment and no doubt new cutlass have cut down vibration underway immensely. I'll be checking this periodically from now on in the off season. Once it's in place, it should be easy to "tune" seasonally in a few minutes. The new installation is quieter all around which is appreciated by all onboard.

Hull speed and beyond is now quickly reached. The 130 cu in Nissan diesel may be a bit oversized for the boat but we're easily motoring to 7 knots into a good breeze and small sea now, more power than before. Nice when you need it.