I need to saw off a mast - need some advices

Feb 3, 2019
Ericson 26 Alameda, CA
Hi, I have a sailboat that is half sunk. I need to pull it through some floating docks to get to the bank to dismantle it. The mast is getting in the way, so I am thinking to saw that off first.

Can anyone advise:

1. What are masts typically made off? It looks like aluminum to me, but I am not 100% sure.
2. Is there a type of saw and sawblade to use for this task?

Any other advice is appreciated.

Robert

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Cut the cable which support the mast and it just may fall down on its own, unless of course it is keel stepped, which would be apparent as the mast will penetrate the deck and protrude all the way to the bottom of the boat.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019
Ericson 26 Alameda, CA
I am able to dig up a photo of the boat in its more glorious days. Seems the mast goes all the way through to the floor?

I will examine it more closely to see the structure. If I end up having to saw it off, any particular type of saw is needed for this sawing?

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
I’m not a mast sawing expert, but I would think a cordless reciprocating saw might be your best bet on an aluminum mast. I wouldn’t use a 110v corded saw due to the potential inherent issues in a wet area. What’s the back story on your predicament? Welcome to the forum!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I am able to dig up a photo of the boat in its more glorious days. Seems the mast goes all the way through to the floor?

I will examine it more closely to see the structure. If I end up having to saw it off, any particular type of saw is needed for this sawing?

That looks to be a deck stepped mast. The section below deck is a compression post. You can tell because the most section is a different shape.

The mast is aluminum.

Before cutting it off, try removing the shrouds and lifting it off. You may have to cut the halyards or cut the shrouds. The shrouds will be stainless steel. The mast probably weighs about 30-50 lbs so it should be easy to manage.

If you have to cut it, try a cordless angle grinder with a metal cutting disc. Other options would be a reciprocating saw or saber saw with metal cutting blades.

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
Sorry about your circumstances, @RobertFisher ...I would personally get rid of the standing rigging first, just like everyone else has previously suggested. When it comes to removing the mast, I personally wouldn't just saw it off with a hand saw (you'll be at it forever and probably at risk of injury). If you have access to a rotary metal saw, I would definitely use that. A fuel-powered one would work best, but seeing as those are hard to find, some hardware stores rent out portable battery chargers with outlets so an electric saw with an extension cord can be used. This process takes a lot of tactical thinking and preparation; if those electronics get wet...well, ya know what happens. The project isn't worth your life; if you don't feel comfortable doing the work yourself, I'm sure there are plenty of services that can help!

Feb 3, 2019
Ericson 26 Alameda, CA
The boat has been sitting at my dock for 10 plus years. Since I work overseas all this time, it's just been sitting there. Then, one day I got a call from family saying the boat sunk. I still have not been able to figure out what happened to the boat and how it took in water - could there suddenly be a hole in the hull? I know nothing could've slammed into it because it sat in a rather protected spot. I guess I can only know if I bring the boat up and again put it in water. But I don't think I'm gonna bother. Just gonna bring it to shore and chop it up.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Hose on a through hull probably let go. As others have said, recipricating saw with a demo or metal cutting blade. I know you don't have much free time but, if you could disconnect the rigging and with some help pull the mast out, it would at least be salvageable. There may be some things that are still salvageable on the boat.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Boats can be neutral buoyant in the water. You might be able to get some air bags. Attach to boat or stuff in the cabin and inflate to get the boat to the surface. I would first try to unattached the rigging from the mast this May allow the mast to come free and be lifted off the boat. Next step would be to cut any lines and cables with a cable cutter that are holding the mast on to the boat. Last resort would be to cut the mast. Battery powered saws-all would do it with a metal blade. Mast is aluminum. Like a hot knife they butter.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
It looks like from your avatar that the boat is sitting at an angle in the water. Normally, you would pull the clevis pins from the bottom end of each shroud and stay, and then remove the mast. In your case, you will have to cut the shrouds and stays with a bolt cutter or very heavy duty cable cutter. The mast should then be free to remove or it can be cut as described previously.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
For what you're doing any cordless saw will do. I use a circular saw on aluminum all the time. Don't use an expensive blade though. If you don't have one finding someone who does and enticing them with a burger and beer should not be difficult.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Chainsaw, bolt cutters, and a big hammer, I’d be done in 30 minutes and loading the PU truck.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
One consideration will be the order in which you do things. If you try to cut the mast with the rigging still attached you may find that the mast is still under tremendous compression. Now, I've never tried this myself, but I'd imagine that compression might bind the saw blade, or it might make the mast move very quickly and very unsafely once it is cut through.

In contrast, if you cut the rigging first then the mast will be unsupported and will fall, potentially quite quickly and potentially in a direction you don't want. Just things to be conscious of as you make your plans .

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Taking the time to unload the standing rigging or cut with bolt cutters while the mast is still in place would be easier than trying to do it with the mast cut off and moving all around. My first pick for a saw would be a cordless recip saw with a hand full of fine tooth blades, second would be a hacksaw with a bunch of blades also but I wouldn't cut it because once you remove the standing rigging (which you would have to do anyway) the mast will just fall off.

Feb 3, 2019
Ericson 26 Alameda, CA
The tip of the mast is now resting just above the deck of the other boat. So I can easily reach the fastenings and remove most all the rigging. I would do that first.

I don't think the mast will come off just with the rigging removed, because I tested the tension just now and they are not very tight (the port side rigging is already missing); so it looks like I have to cut it. At very low tide this evening (-0.5) the base of the mast is still about 1/2 foot below water. I will first try to lift the boat a few inches higher, then just cut as close to water as I can safely do so.