and he listed the dimensions , 9' long by 3/16 diameter
but he did not say where he purchased it
please let me know if you have any ideas

Thank you
Andy K.

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
West Marine or a good hardware store will have the 9' of 3/16" wire rope you need.
You'll probably need some swageing hardware to go with it.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have a similar boat (a Balboa 26). I replaced my cable this spring and I've attached the specs sheet for mine. I purchased a new SS cable at Tractor Supply and SS cable nuts and SS thimbles from SeaDog. I didn't swage mine... I used the thimbal and nuts instead.

Attachments

Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis
What type of wire are you guys using...1x19....7x19...or 7x7?
I have to replace the cable on my Sirius 22...has a 500lb swing keel. The original wire was l/4 1x19. I don't think 1x19 to be a best choice though it has lasted 27 years but now has a broken stand. The 7x19 and 7x7 would be more flexible and warp around the winch better and with less crushing of the wire...that's my hope anyways. My feeling is either would be better than the 1x19 but which of the two would be better yet? My gut feeling is the 7x19 would be more flexible but with smaller individual wires they may be more prone to breaking a strand or two. The 7x7 a bit less flexible but the larger individual strands may be more robust and resist breaking better. The working load is about 1000-1100 lbs and breaking strength is around 5000lb.

I will most likely use a Stayloc or Norseman type of end terminal to replace the original swage.

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
Use some Dyneema line. It's stronger than the wire and easy to but in an eye splice around a thimble.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
What type of wire are you guys using...1x19....7x19...or 7x7?
I will most likely use a Stayloc or Norseman type of end terminal to replace the original swage.
for the type of wire and service required here use 7x19... always, for use on a winch drum....

CUSCUS, with the swing keel there is some abrasion that takes place at the bottom of the cable exit hole of the trunk as the keel is lowered away or raised.... I am not aware of any boat with a true swing keel that doesnt have some abrasion in this area.
I would think a cable would be more durable and dependable under these conditions... IMHO;)

Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis
for the type of wire and service required here use 7x19... always, for use on a winch drum....

CUSCUS, with the swing keel there is some abrasion that takes place at the bottom of the cable exit hole of the trunk as the keel is lowered away or raised.... I am not aware of any boat with a true swing keel that doesnt have some abrasion in this area.
I would think a cable would be more durable and dependable under these conditions... IMHO;)

I thought about the synthetic as an option but the wear issue decided against it. I would agree with you about the abrasion. Looking at the stainless steel exit fitting that the cable passes through there is a noticeable groove worn in it. Will go with the 7x19 wire.

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
CUSCUS, with the swing keel there is some abrasion that takes place at the bottom of the cable exit hole of the trunk as the keel is lowered away or raised.... I am not aware of any boat with a true swing keel that doesnt have some abrasion in this area. I would think a cable would be more durable and dependable under these conditions... IMHO

Yeah, forgot about the stock Macgregor exit point being a rub spot. I didn't even like the wire rubbing, so I modified it. Now with using the Dyneema, I got rid of the ss tubing, and just let it run in the bare bolt.

image-68626924.jpg

Mar 22, 2013
Macgregor 26s Carter's Creek, VA
I took cuscus advise and did that to my mac too......best mod I did. it was easy to maintain, splice, and did not hum! thanks!

Sep 17, 2012
Oday Mariner Middle River Md
"Use some Dyneema line. It's stronger than the wire and easy to but in an eye splice around a thimble."

+1 on that.

I have an O'Day Mariner which in the original form, used stainless cable. Many of us in the Mariner Assn. have switched to modern fabric line which actually has greater breaking strength than the cable.
I replaced mine with Amsteel, which at 3/16 inch has greater breaking strength than steel of the same size.
Going on 2 seasons with no noticeable wear. Just because it's so inexpensive, and easy to do, I'll probably replace it this year just because.
No way would I ever go back to steel cable.

The only abrasion I found on the Mariner was where the line from the exterior pulley went through the top of the trunk. The steel cable had worn an irregular hole in the fiberglass. I drilled the hole larger and made a bronze bushing to fit, which was epoxied in place.

robj

ssamac

Jan 5, 2014
Catalina Catalina 22 Fort Madison, IA
Careful with Dyneema. It does not give like regular line. Easy to snap with a shock load. Also need to be careful how you splice since it's not the same as 3 strand or double braid. But I assume you know all this already if you're using it. Just a note just in case
Good luck
ssamac