I need advice. Buying a Catalina 30 - 1977-1983

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2007
- - Vancouver BC
Hello all. I am going to be a proud owner of a Catalina 30 very soon. However I am looking to improve my knowledge on what works & doesn't work on these boats so I can make a more educated decision of the boats available. We are going to use it year round in the coastal waters of southern British Columbia and Washington. There will be 2 families using this boat with children ages 4-13. We are planing to take it out for day/afternoon trips to extended cruises (for us that is only a couple weeks). 1.) What features in a boat of this size would you consider critical if you were to buy a used boat? Why? 2.) What features should be avoided? Why? NOTE : I will be having it profesionally surveyed before I buy to check for integrity of the hull, rig, and components. I think I am looking for more information on mods and upgrades and non-standard equipment. 3.) Is there a web site that lists all the service bulletins for the Catalina 30? Thank you for your time. It is greatly appreciated. Edward

B

Bob

Advice to purchaser of Cat 30

I recently purchased a 1989 Cat 30, which was in generally excellent condition. In addition to a hull survey, I engaged a mechanic very knowledgeable with the Universal 23 HP diesel. Fortunately, the engine was in excellent condition. However, he modified the ground from the batteries to the starboard side of the engine and also changed the wiring to the starter key to improve the voltage going to the starter. He had some other recommendations for engine performance. I'm not mechanically inclined; so, I valued the mechanics advice. The non standard features on my boat were an anchor windlass in the forward anchor well, teak/holly flooring, a roller furling main sail and a storage compartment under the cockpit, thereby reducing the quarter berth to a single berth. I hope you are as satisfied as I have been with the boat.

B

Bob

Go to this site for info...........

Okeedokee.... Follow me as I take you to a great Catalina website where you can download the owners manual, see the chronology of changes through them model years and learn about every aspect of the the 30. Great stuff. 1) click on "resources" 2) click on "Sailing Web Sites" 3) click on Page 2 at the botom of the page 4) scroll down and click on "International Catalina 30 Association" CONGRADS YOU ARE NOW ON A FANTASTIC RESOURCE SITE 5) click on Technical Library on the left side 6) Click on Catalina Yachts Library - chronology of improvments through the model years Check out all the other info (Brochures, owners manual, systems, etc, etc). I suggest you join the Association. You'll get some great literature, quarterly Mainsheet Magazine and excellent technical advise on the 30. Cool decals too!! The newer the model the better as I see it. If you can get the wheel over the tiller you will have more cockpit space. If you can get the diesel over the gas engine, you can avoid the issue with fumes; however, the Atomic four is one heck of an enduring machine. The first diesel, the Universal 11 HP is considered to be underpowered by many for the 30 in currents, heavy seas and tidal situations. The Universal M-18 (14 hp) came out in 87-88 followed by the M-25 (22 hp). Look at your cruising area, tides and conditions and get the proper power you will need (Probably Atomic 4 gas vs. Universal Diesel 11 hp). Many changes evident through the model years, but the interior pretty much kept the same configuration. With that huge quarterberth and convertible dinette, you have plenty of space for a family for weekending and even extended cruising. We have the '88 Mark II model and love the wing-keel feature. Its a great family boat and with these boards and tons of support and parts vendors you've made a great choice. Very wise and downright necessary for a proper survey. Weak links are rusting keel bolts and the "Catalina Smile", mast compression post slumping (evident on deck), older wire harness issues, osmotic blistering, etc, etc. Good luck Bob '88 Mark II "Breezin II" Lake Lanier, GA

D

Dianne

Windlass

Would appreciate information in how the windlass is installed in the anchor locker. We just purchased a 1985 30ft. Catalina and this is one of the upgrades we are seriously considering presently.

Status
Not open for further replies.