I need a used mast for a Hunter 34

MacV

Jan 15, 2020
Hunter 34 Miami
I recently bought a 1988 H34 demasted due to hurricane damage. The boat is docked in Dania Beach, FL.
I can get a hold of a used mast same size but it comes from a Roberts 39. I want to avoid the expense and researching time of having to acquire new spar and retrofitting the rigging in that tube. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
They only built the H-34 from 1983 to 1987 so there's that. Do you have a Hunter 340 or is it a 1987 H-34? Or something else? Very different boats. Also, the mast from a Roberts 39 is very different and would almost certainly not fit either boat at all.

MacV

Jan 15, 2020
Hunter 34 Miami
Hi Mark,

Sorry, you are right. My boat is a 1986 Hunter 34, thanks for pointing that out. I was considering using just the tube and retrofitting it with the H34 spars.
As it is so far the mast I've found locally that resembles the H34. If there are any ideas to get replacement mast for the boat without breaking the bank; as commissioning a new mast is not possible. I have the sails and the boom, but that's just about it.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
The H-34 is a particularly tough boat to get a mast for. It has the B&R rig which uses tensioned cables and swept back spreaders to pre-bend the mast. Then, has a split backstay added in for good measure. Good luck.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
seco south did my h34 replacement rigging a few years ago and they were the most reasonable. They also did most of the rigging for hunters of that era. They may have all the specs on file

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
Is it possible to fix your current mast?

Hunter31/34s from that era used either Kenyon or Selden B&R rigged masts and I believe it will be very difficult to source one, the cost probably approaching the cost of another boat. If you are really set on the boat you can try to find a used H34 for $10-15K and get a number of parts from it (or sell the parts that you do not need such as engine/winches/boom/etc.).

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
You know the dirty little secret of cruising on a sailboat is that you motor a lot. Maybe this boat is destined to be a slow but inexpensive motor boat. With a big awning hanging out on the hook could be very enjoyable. If you do not want to "Avoid expense and researching time of having to acquire new spar and retrofitting the rigging in that tube," then don't.

Jul 30, 2019
Seaward 25 777 Fort St. James
Surely you could find a hull-damaged boat of similar type and size and strip the entire rig, then implant it in your Hunter. Labour and a little ingenuity but low cost. Your chances of finding a spare mast of exactly that boat and persuading UPS to ship it to you seem small.

A dismasted 34' yacht as a motor boat might make one something of a figure of fun at the local marina.

Bob

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I am sure that a little patience and effort will yield a mast from an H-34 somewhere. It might take some time, though.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
When I broke the Kenyon mast on my boat several years ago, the rigger had access to Charleston spar and found a mast that was almost exacly the same shape and size. It was new but the insurance way paying for it. In your case, my point is to suggest you contact salvage yards and find out was they have that might fit. Good Luck to you

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Ever think of going to a junk rig?

Just a thought.

dj

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
Still need a mast? I know of one on an H34 that was destroyed by fire. Mast is in good shape, could send you photos and info if you need. It is in Oklahoma however