I need a TIller Extender

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rusty

Sorry about the first attempt listing the boat as a 19. Must have selected the wrong model...Here it is again. Spring is right around the corner and it is time to start thinking about upgrades and changes for the ole 170. I need a tiller extender to attach to the wooden tiller. I have spent some time checking out alternatives. Any personal recommendations? Rusty

M

Mike

Battlestick

Hey hey, Rusty! Hope you're having a good winter (or in an optimist's world- hope you HAD a good winter)! This is somewhat comparing apples and kiwis, but I updated my dad's Laser tiller extension last summer with a Ronstan Battlestick and it's pretty sweet. I'm going to guess that they make one that's a little larger, which you could fit onto your 170's wooden tiller. The Battlestick when new has major recoil--- when you let go of it, it bounces back to the center (aligned over the tiller). Good hardware. I like Annapolis Performance Sail for my gear: www.apsltd.com Mike

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
Hello Rusty

Hey Rusty, you must be as ready as I am to get back on the water if you are looking to make some upgrades already. I suspect your lake is still pretty cold! We are coming up again this summer, I hope to see you then!

R

Rusty

Hey guys!

Mike and George, Good to hear from you. George, the lake is still a bit hard. Two or three feet worth of hard!!! Its getting close to the time to hang up Curling for the season and get ready to sail. Look forward to seeing you up here this summer, even if it is for a day sail. Hey, did you catch any of the Curling action telecast during the Olympics? Love the sport!!! Mike, how's the Florida winter season been? I appreciate the recommendation on the Battlestick. I have been doing some window shopping, but I guess I need to commit here in the next month or so. We still have ice, lots of it, but I like to get the pier in in early April if the weather cooperates. 6 weeks baby! Who needs hip boots...water at 45 degrees, shorts and tennis shoes. You only feel it for a minute or two, once everything goes numd its ALL DOWNHILL!!! Enjoy the remainder of the winter guys. Rusty

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Tanzer 29 Jeanneau Design Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie
Battlestick too

Rusty - My 170 has a Battlestick. It seems to work pretty good and I second Mike's comments in that it has good memory and seems to want to return to the tiller. The universal joint at the tiller is replaceble too. Jerry

M

Mike

FL season

Rusty, Glad you found the recommendation helpful. The Florida season's been good, although I've only been sailing once this winter (on New Year's Eve eve!). We've had some weekend days only in the 60's (I know, cry me a river- it's not that warm in most places), but we're hoping to get out there this Saturday. The winter/spring breezes are so much more reliable than during the summer. We were in Sarasota a couple weekends back visiting a friend and I'm looking into getting my ASA 101 thru 103 down there this spring, so we'll be able to charter a keelboat occasionally. Should be fun. Already have the texts, so I'm studying up. I'll try to post a play by play if we sail the 170 this weekend. Best, Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.