I need a good chili recipe...

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Please, let me know your best chili recipes! I will ultimately eat it with beans, and prefer con carne to vegetarian, or even turkey or chicken.

Thanks!

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I never did get the recipes for these chilis but you can probably Google the names to get the ingredients of each one.
Thanks. I like some heat and some texture. I also like to reserve some before I add the beans to use for chili dogs. :)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
This is a green chili made with pork. You could use chicken boneless skinless thighs. Most folks don't want to roast their own peppers. I haven't tried buying roasted peppers but I suppose it would work. It might then be red chili - but not Drew's.

Attachments

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
This is a green chili made with pork. You could use chicken boneless skinless thighs. Most folks don't want to roast their own peppers. I haven't tried buying roasted peppers but I suppose it would work. It might then be red chili - but not Drew's.
Thanks!

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Kind of a tangent, but what's the best canned chili? I tried maybe 6 or 8 different ones, and the one I think is best is Hormel Angus Beef Chili, No Beans. Add your own beans. :) And some hot sauce.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Old El Paso Chile got me through college. It's "Iow grade dog food" but gassed up with some Tabasco and some rolls lifted from the food service could get you through the munchies.
My wife makes a very good kinda sweet Chile that's not so hot. My stomach has come to appreciate it.
They now have in many markets Cincinnati Chile (Skyline) which served five ways (Chili, Onions, Cheese, Beans noodles) is tasty. But not for those using composting toilets! CC is not really chili. It is a greek dish which I've lost track of the real name for. It has cinnamon in it as well has well as some other mid-eastern spices. We throw a can into some ground beef with the garnishes and serve over spaghetti and accept the consequences.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Please, let me know your best chili recipes! I will ultimately eat it with beans, and prefer con carne to vegetarian, or even turkey or chicken.

Thanks!
Here is mine. Multiple winner:
Rick’s Chili Recipe

Purchase the following: 2 pounds of ground turkey or beef. Two large tomatoes. Two medium/small yellow onions. Cilantro. One package of Lawry’s Chili mix (see suggestion for making your own). One can of tomato sauce. One very small can of chopped black olives. One medium/large can of pinto beans. One regular can of kidney beans.

Prepare for cooking: dice onions and set aside. Dice tomatoes and set aside. Chop a small portion of cilantro and set aside.

In a large pot, add a tablespoon of vegetable oil or olive oil and brown the meat while chopping it into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Don’t over-cook. Add tomato sauce and a quarter to a half cup of water. Stir and bring to a broil. Add chili mix (or your own mix). Add a splash of Worchester sauce and smoke flavor. Stir in and reduce heat to simmer. Let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. .

In the meantime, add the onions to a large frying pan and sauté the onions over a medium heat, stirring until softened (about 3 to 5 minutes). Then add to chili.

At 30 minutes, add tomatoes, beans and a little salt (about a tablespoon). Stir in and bring back to a broil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 15 minutes stirring occasionally. Add the chopped cilantro, chopped black olives, and a bit of black pepper, at about 5 to 10 minutes. Allow to sit for five minutes before serving.

Option: instead of Lawry’s chili mix, substitute 1/3 cup chili powder, and add a half teaspoon of garlic powder and some Mrs. Dash seasoning.

Note: this will produce about ten servings of chili. Allow chili to cool to room temperature. Spoon into gallon-size freezer bags (optional: quart size), label and set flat in freezer for fast future meals. Have fun!

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
So I did make chili, inspired by my acquisition of a pressure cooker for free, and the recipes that the manufacturer, Presto, publishes. I was out of ground beef but I had ground pork, and substituted some hot chili and a red bell pepper pepper for the green in the recipe. After "browning" the pork and adding the balance of the ingredients it was only 5 minutes of cook time. Came out great! Pressure cookers are amazing.

PRESSURE COOKERS RECIPE INDEX

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I am late to the party, but the next time you make chili, try this one…

Named Notre Dame Chili (or Fighting Irish chili) because I got the recipe from a guy at a Notre Dame tailgate.

IMG_2030.jpeg IMG_2031.jpeg

Go Irish!

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Oh yeah, I make this a lot of this in the fall and winter.

wow…do you like Guinness? I had my first one last St. Pats day. Quite good:beer:

Greg