I lost a second batten!

Apr 3, 2020
Hunter 23.5 Frenchtown, MT
earlier this summer I managed to spit a batten out at some point during a day sail. Yesterday we had some pretty good wind (18-20kts), and after a few hours out playing around I looked up and noticed that same batten had jumped overboard again. I'm trying to figure out how I managed to screw up sliding a batten into the pocket. These are not full length, in fact that one is only about 24" or so. Should I be sewing them in place? I slide the batten in, push against the elastic enough to get the aft end in, then tuck it into a little pocket. Seems simple, but after losing two now I must be doing it wrong. Any help or advice? Also, what's a good place to get more?

Apr 3, 2020
Hunter 23.5 Frenchtown, MT
I called my guy, he's going to rebuild the pockets over the winter. For now, I'll just put a little stitch over the opening.

Dil

Jul 13, 2020
Hunter 30T Neptune
I lost all the battens on my new sail in speaking with my rep there was a double pocket on the sail one for the batten and one for the batten not even sure what the right term is for the strap with the velcro on it I was using the batten pocket to secure it but the strap pocket possibly yours is the same.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
My sail has eyelets at the aft end of the pockets. I run zip ties thru the eyelets and holes in the battens. All secure

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Orbweaver... You not sailing much till you have lost a batten or two. I remember a brisk day maybe 4-5 years ago, before I got my new mainsail. The wind was up and we were beating to windward. I had added sail tape to help hold the patched sail together for another season. I had not gotten to the 2nd batten. It had looked to be in good shape.

Glancing up at the sail in a gust and suddenly the batten started to creep out the end of the sail. There was nothing to do. I just watched the sail work and and the batten squirm as it ripped through the end of the batten pocket and then fluttered in the wind. For a second it looked like the batten would flutter towards the deck. In anticipation I stood up thinking I could snatch the bugger out of the air like a pesky fly. But it took one look at the boat and then at me and dove straight to the water. (at least that is the way it felt. We both know battens do not have eyes. they use ESP)

Never saw that batten again.