I Know Age is just a number but at 75 am I just dreaming ?

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
Some elderly sailors like cat rigs like Freedom and Nonsuch because they require minimal sail handling. Add electric winches, windlass, bow thruster, auto pilot, etc.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I am 75 and my wife is 74. We have been sailing the last 22 years in Florida. We lost the rigging in Ian and the insurance totalled the boat and hauled it away. I found it again on a salvage yard for auction. Bought the boat back and we plan to use it as a trawler. We have always been cruisers and enjoy just being out on the water and overnighting for 4 or 5 days at a time. Estimates for a new rig were outrageous and there are slim pickings for buying boats in southwest Florida. Just happy to be back on the water.

NCBrew

Feb 22, 2010
Hunter Hunter Legend 35.5 9335 Albemarle Plantation, NC
I am 83 and in good health and I race my Hunter 35.5 in club races. I also sail by myself on weekend trips and longer. I sail in Albemarle Sound and the surrounding waters. The question is "how do you feel"
A freedom yacht may be an easy solution. They are very easy to sail.
Good luck

DSqr

Feb 27, 2010
Hunter 376 Racine, WI
I got back into sailing when I bought my Hunter 33.5 at age 62 as my "you can't afford to retire" birthday present to myself. At the time, my wife couldn't spell boat and had no idea of how to sail. For the first few years, I was dependent on crews from a local sailing club where I was able to get crews ranging from newbies to licensed captains. It got my skills back to where they needed to be and also got the attention of my wife, who has now become my sailing partner. The downside was that she didn't like the sleeping arrangements in the 33.5 and MADE me buy our H376 (boo hoo!). We bought the 376 when we turned 67 and virtually live on the boat from April to October. My wife finds that the larger boat is more stable and more comfortable to sail on Lake Michigan.

When we find our age (75) and agility to be a challenge, we have been able to find mechanical aids that make it easier. I've been using a Milwaukee right angle drill to raise my 480 sq ft main and I've just upgraded that to a new 60 volt DeWalt. My wife now makes me buy more safety related products like Quantum 2 radar, a RIB and dinghy davits, new seat cushions, and more. Damn, I love that woman!!!

The upside of this is that we've been able to charter boats together, sailing the BVIs, and Bahamas. Now we have contracts for sailing the Chesapeake this fall and Tahiti next March. I'm not going to leave anything to the kids.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
I'm not at all excited about your situation. Your wife, despite all her other attributes, is a limiting factor for a 75 year old considering getting into sailing. Being a beginning sailor requires a lot of effort to do it right, and being a beginner at 75 is another level of difficulty. Add in a wife whose limitations are not going to change....uh, uh.

You inquire on a sailing forum, and we're all sailors, many of whom are over 65, and we want to encourage you and see you succeed. I share that urge to see you succeed, but I'm looking at the facts you've laid out, and I'm not seeing success. If you were already an experienced sailor, and this was you new wife, I'd say you might be able to work it out, but it'd be iffy.

So, at the risk of being labeled a "dream killer", I'm going to say, no, I'm not seeing success here.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I would say that @DSqr & partner have already found success over the past 13 years and continue to do so. Plus he’s got an excellent estate plan! :yikes:

• Ha
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
So, at the risk of being labeled a "dream killer", I'm going to say, no, I'm not seeing success here.
Might be “a dream” that he would wake up early from. :( I dunno. Most of us probably feel lucky if we make it out overnight one weekend a month. If retired maybe two weekends a month if largely homebound w/health or other issues. The prime boating season for sailboats that begins in October ends around May 1 in Florida; so, there’s that. The onset of hot, muggy weather, often windless except for T-storms, etc. My advice—consider getting a trawler w/AC.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Tahiti next March. I'm not going to leave anything to the kids.
Plus he’s got an excellent estate plan! :yikes:
I am interpreting the estate planning observation to the above “DSqr” statement.

It sounds good to me as well. Once you have empowered the kids to be self sufficient and shared what wisdoms you’ve gained to the next generation the obligation is done and anything else is a bonus.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
@GrandPaw Welcome to SBO. I conclude from what you described your wife needs to be treated more like an honored guest than active crew, and you will be single-handing even when she can join you.
Based on the rest of your post I assume your experience as captain on big boats is somewhat limited, if at all. To single-hand with limited experience and non-athletic agility (an assumption) you should keep to boats around 30' or under. After gaining experience, agility is less of an issue (experience improves your situational awareness and ability to anticipate/plan moves ahead of time). Wear a PFD with harness and short tether that won't let you go over the side. Keep clipped on and always use one hand for the boat. If you go overboard in open water, especially as a single-hander, your successful recovery prospects are grim.
I would look at a Nonesuch 30 sailboat. Easy sail handling, voluminous interior, spacious cockpit and shallow draft (good for FL). Also look at a 30-ish foot trawler or power "pocket cruiser".
IMHO You should disregard your friend's advice to get a trailerable sailboat -- I tried that when I was in my 20's and rigging/de-rigging every time we launched it was too much for me even then when I was young and much more athletic. Climbing up and down, on and off the trailered boat gets old very fast in the hot sun on a humid day. When you reach your 70's trailered boats are fine for seasonal launching and storage, but not for every use.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
@GrandPaw Welcome to SBO. I conclude from what you described your wife needs to be treated more like an honored guest than active crew, and you will be single-handing even when she can join you.
Based on the rest of your post I assume your experience as captain on big boats is somewhat limited, if at all. To single-hand with limited experience and non-athletic agility (an assumption) you should keep to boats around 30' or under. After gaining experience, agility is less of an issue (experience improves your situational awareness and ability to anticipate/plan moves ahead of time). Wear a PFD with harness and short tether that won't let you go over the side. Keep clipped on and always use one hand for the boat. If you go overboard in open water, especially as a single-hander, your successful recovery prospects are grim.
I would look at a Nonesuch 30 sailboat. Easy sail handling, voluminous interior, spacious cockpit and shallow draft (good for FL). Also look at a 30-ish foot trawler or power "pocket cruiser".
IMHO You should disregard your friend's advice to get a trailerable sailboat -- I tried that when I was in my 20's and rigging/de-rigging every time we launched it was too much for me even then when I was young and much more athletic. Climbing up and down, on and off the trailered boat gets old very fast in the hot sun on a humid day. When you reach your 70's trailered boats are fine for seasonal launching and storage, but not for every use.
One more reason to look at the Nonesuch - it has good initial stability and isn't as tender as most other boats in its length class.

DSqr

Feb 27, 2010
Hunter 376 Racine, WI
I am interpreting the estate planning observation to the above “DSqr” statement.

It sounds good to me as well. Once you have empowered the kids to be self sufficient and shared what wisdoms you’ve gained to the next generation the obligation is done and anything else is a bonus.
That's how we raised the kids. They're encouraging us to live life to the fullest, now that we've helped them go on their way. Or is it that they just want to be rid of us? Nah!

Jan 21, 2024
catalina 320 Marina Del Rey
I represent the fairer sex. I have a Catalina 320 and sail single handed with a husband that has Parkinson’s and Lewy Body dementia. I am 66 and he is 70. I have cruised and he has not. I do everything on board, from engine maintenance to projects. His presence is harder than being alone, but I have chosen not to diminish my choices and to provide him a scenery change. There will come a time I will be truly alone, but I am enjoying my life as best I can.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I represent the fairer sex. I have a Catalina 320 and sail single handed with a husband that has Parkinson’s and Lewy Body dementia. I am 66 and he is 70. I have cruised and he has not. I do everything on board, from engine maintenance to projects. His presence is harder than being alone, but I have chosen not to diminish my choices and to provide him a scenery change. There will come a time I will be truly alone, but I am enjoying my life as best I can.
You are the second "fairer sex" sailing with a partner no longer capable of doing the work that I've "met" (the first I met in person, you only here online) in the past year. I guess us men often don't stand up to the test of time as well as the "fairer sex". In the other person's case, they also expressed the added difficulties but wished to provide a better life for their partner. Good on you!

Knock on wood, I'm still sailing...

dj

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Some time has passed since the PO posted this thread, and at that time, I was much younger, but am now 80 and two thirds. Since then had a great time doing a solo six-week cruise up north into BC waters this past season. As long as I remain healthy and fit, why not. At some point if sailing becomes beyond my physical/mental abilities, well until then...

The admiral like to go sailing, too, but her ailing sister who lives with us, prevents her from doing so. Even at that, I still end up doing all the heavy stuff, because of her knees, muscle strength, etc. But it is always a joy having her on board, especially at anchor. As mentioned by a previous poster, she prefers broad reaching or downwind sailing and gets very anxious when heeling very much.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
at that time, I was much younger, but am now 80 and two thirds.
Isn't that something that four year olds always do to make themselves appear more mature ? For example, "I'm not just four but I'm all the way up to four and one half. I'm really much older than just four."

Wouldn't you be much better off touting yourself as "Just barely a hair's breadth over 80."

Mar 7, 2023
Hunter 28.5 Savannah
I am 68 and my wife is 61 and we like being on the water and probably will be till we can’t get up from the chair. I let her do all the driving the Sea Ray and steering the sailboat as it invigorates her, let her be the captain, keep her happy, and allows me to buy the things I want for the boats.
The Sea Ray is a lot easier to be on the water and less strain on our bodies but we do take the Hunter out with family and friends.

Attachments

Last edited: