I Know Age is just a number but at 75 am I just dreaming ?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Roman Numerals are base 1. Nothing less than 1 can be recognized by Roman. Zero does not exist for a Roman.:kick:

Don't you just love dead languages.
Mortuus sum ergo non sum.

Jan 13, 2009
J Boat 92 78 Sandusky
First post ,
At 75- Health is good
Wife 72 not so much , Physically cant assist,
joins me too do this boating thing together but zero sea legs , freaks when boats come close , rolling seas its my fault ,
But biggest issue is breathing , Side effects from covid shot , ( drs cant figure )

I spent a week aboard a 40 ft Oceanis Beneteau- 3 guys sailing up Hudson River ,
Motored entire time Was in a regatta ,learned too duck a lot
LOVED IT
Get back too FL were I reside -
Sold our 30 twin engine gas guzzler ,-
With wifes medical decided cash out , time off , let the market settle ,

I got into motorized kayak fishing , having a blast going into skinny waters never could with any boat ,
Hitting water weekly keeps my sanity even in a yak BUTT time has come too consider another boat ,

Majority my age getting out of sailing into trawlers , motor yachts
Motor yachts have comforts we seek , but back too twin big block feed me engines ,
Not fan of trawlers
I am interested in early 2000 Beneteau , Hunter , Cat , around 35 ft with a/c and all bells and whistes operating it like a slow power boat
I will sail at times but realistic single handling and probably without wife ,
this way she will not freak going slow , comfots of home enjoy our remaining years cruising coatline of FL

Wife thinks I'm nuts -
My buddy with the Oceanis says get a 22 ft trailer , KISS formula , - He says you will down at boat yourself like the other boat ,
Maybe I'm watching too many UTUBE of folks sailing all over , Few seniors living aboard giving up home , ,
That would be me , not wife ,

So basically I am asking , Does it make sense too get a sail too operate like power boat ?

THOUGHTS
I'm 75 and wife is 72. We are both lucky enough to be able to enjoy sailing. Sold our raceboat a year ago (J/92) and now have a Sabre 32. My wife has done foredeck for the last 35 years. I am really lucky for that. My Sabre 32 is a centerboard and the perfect boat for your area with a board up draft of 3'8". It s small enough to be easily handled by 2 and sturdy enough for limited offshore. And no I'm not selling. We usually spend 3-4 weeks i9n a condo in Cocoa Beach every winter so we know Port Canaveral

Our hero was a friend who sailed his C&C25 singlehanded up to age 94. He raced up to age 90. Great guy and sadly missed when he died at 95. I hope that I can get close to that age and still be sailing. The old adage is" every day sailing adds a day to your life"

l
cky enough to be able to still enjoy sailing

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
OTOH, I know a man who separated from his wife at 70 and went travelling. She wanted to stay home and waste the last decent years rotting on the couch. I don't blame him.
She wasn't happy with him leaving on repeated trips,.so he left altogether...
Please don't tell me you're a marriage counselor!!!!!

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Please don't tell me you're a marriage counselor!!!!!
If marriage counselling entails making people stay together and be unhappy, then lord no. :beer:

If it entails encouraging them to look at every possible option, before giving up, then I might do ok in the job.

You will notice that what you quoted was the very last option on my list.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024
Catalina 425 Grandpappy
I'm 81 & wife is 75. Our "dream cruise" was COVID interrupted …, resulting in a 1,900 mile blue water sail to nowhere. Our choice of boat was a new Catalina 425 after a lifetime of owning Hunters. Still sailing but probably aged out from epic passages.

Last edited: