I Just Learned An Expensive Lesson

DonRS

Oct 23, 2018
Catalina 30 Annapolis
Yep, I am considering options regarding that bill and will probably have to out these guys pretty soon.

Its really good to have the forum available for the experience and help of all that have come before in this stuff.

So I am reading the engine wiki and the electrical stuff. Fortunately I do enjoy doing my own work.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
It happens, be careful as they could put a lean on your boat or if they stull have access do other things. I'd ask for a break and if not pay and move on.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Just a Warning when changing the oil and filter, a friend just changed the oil & filter on
a trawler very big diesel and after putting on filter and adding oil let it run and went in house
for something and came back out with alarm blasting low oil pressure and find out all or most
of the oil spilled out.
He had not removed the old oil filter gasket and that is why the oil spilled out within the 5 or 10
minutes while left it running and so far he had it all checked by some experts and seems no damage done short time running.
Nick

mpaule

Jun 24, 2013
Catalina 22 Lake Dillon, CO
I almost made the same error, but it would have been worse, MUCH worse. During my purchaser’s survey, it was noted that the old bottom paint was “sick” and should be removed. Something like $900 was mentioned by the guy in the yard at the time. So I asked them to haul the boat, blast off the old paint and apply 2 coats of new. Luckily the official yard office called to verify that I wanted the $20,000 bottom job!!!!!!! On a 30 year old $45,000 boat? Yikes! That was a close one.

Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
i would not pay it. that is $400. 00 an hour for labor that's moving slow. i would be making a huge, loud stink everywhere in that marina.
each of those jobs takes 1/2 hr max. my guy at my yard will do all three jobs in 1/2 hr.
he uses an electric oil extractor, while that's running he does the filters, 5-7 minutes, the impeller is three screw out, swap impeller, three screws in. fill with oil, done.
your yard is stealing you blind. call the cops. that is stealing

plus my guy tells jokes while he's doing the job, no extra charge
The Oberdorfer pump has four screws, and even with a split ring pliers it can be stubborn to both remove and reinstall. Care needs to be taken when removing the impeller so as not to pull the shaft out along with it.
Those impellers can be pricey depending on the vendor. Be sure as to order the right part because cross referencing part numbers can be fustrating

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
you are prolly correct on the 4 screws, my bad. anti seize and soap have made the replacement easy for me. or more correctly, for my mech. this is my 46th season with the alden. every job i have done. now i have my master mech do it all. the filters are placed for easy service. never messy. the yard has a simple kit to handle oil and fuel filter changes. my mech has been the sole caretaker of my engine for 30 years now. i am there with him for all the work. i like simple. :)

i keep all filters and impellers and oil spare on the boat. the mech just shows up with his drop cloth and kit.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Luckily the official yard office called to verify that I wanted the $20,000 bottom job!!!!!!! On a 30 year old $45,000 boat? Yikes! That was a close one.
Ha Ha! Just shows you have to keep your head on a swivel even when the boat is out of the water. I had a similar incident in 2015 when the yard I hauled out at told me I had "pox" on my hull and needed a similar 500.00 a foot bottom job. 24 hours later the "pox" receded.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
B reak

O ut

A nother

T housand

Now, the internet is rife with sites that offer all those items.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
This is an issue I brought up in a post about a year ago. Specifically, that boatyards too often take advantage of people and the boating community is too tolerant of it. I did raise a huge stink after having a similar experience and I was surprised by how many folks admonished me for it. Fix things yourself or get a quote in writing.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
I would SCREAM and HOLLER and let all other boaters in the area know that is robbery!
We got a book on Amazon that was cheap Called "How Boat Things Work"
Written by a guy who expierenced what you did and it easy to follow and has LOTS of Pictures !:):biggrin:for guys like me!