I have a black type resin coming in through my sidestay into my cabin.

gtg

Sep 12, 2019
Catalina, Hobbie 22, 16 Windycrest
I thought ir was rust but it is black and the drops harden. Do they put grease around the bolt when the bolt is installed into the fiberglass? Curious what I will find when I remove the bolt. Should I tie off my side stay to keep some sort of tension when I work on the bolt in the deck?

Attachments

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
On which boat is this happening and the year of the boat? It is possible that it is sealant used when the boat was built. Or even possible that the PO did some work and resealed the plates with some cheap sealant. It is also possible, as you suspect, the be some kind of lubricant on the hardware that is breaking down.

If you plan on taking the hardware apart, then yes, tie off the shroud before you remove the shroud and the hardware. This will keep tension on the mast. Unless you can take the mast down, then no need to tie off the shroud.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Deck leak. Need to re-bed. Water passing through deck core picks up that dark color.

gtg

Sep 12, 2019
Catalina, Hobbie 22, 16 Windycrest
On which boat is this happening and the year of the boat? It is possible that it is sealant used when the boat was built. Or even possible that the PO did some work and resealed the plates with some cheap sealant. It is also possible, as you suspect, the be some kind of lubricant on the hardware that is breaking down.

If you plan on taking the hardware apart, then yes, tie off the shroud before you remove the shroud and the hardware. This will keep tension on the mast. Unless you can take the mast down, then no need to tie off the shroud.
22 catalina 1974, there is no sign of sealant on the top deck or bottle decker

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Then I would agree with @RoyS that you should rebed your hardware. It isn't hard to do. I think @Maine Sail has a webpage just for that type of project.

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
that's a bad sign and something you should address asap. it means water has gotten into your core around the chainplate. be ready to dig out rotten wood and repair.

Ajay73

Jun 11, 2011
Catalina 1980 C27 Meinke Marina on Lake Erie
I have the same thing on my 1980 C-27. I have re-cored the area and I still get a little of this stuff. And on my boat it doesn't show up around through deck fittings. in fact none around deck fittings. It seems to bleed through in area where there is no hardware. But it happens only on the port side of the cabin ceiling. And I get a little of the same thing on my 2003 C-18. I don't think it's a wet core problem on the C-18. I have tested it with a moisture meter. I'm at a loss as to what it is. But it's probably due to moisture wicking its way from some remote location.