I guess it was my fault!?

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
this power boat overtakes the pontoon on my port swerves in front of me, passes within 10 feet of my bow (see asterisk in diagram below) and then starts frantically waving ME off.
He did, of course, sound the appropriate signal to indicate passing STBD to STBD instead of Port to Port, right?

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Ecoli is not from number one. This is getting too gross.
Usually from septic systems on lakeside properties or sewer leaks as well, for which boaters normally get the unjustified blame. But that's a pretty upscale neighborhood, so one would think the towns have that under control in this day and age. The goose population can have an effect as well.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I always hesitate when my non-boating friends ask if I'm taking the boat downtown to watch the fireworks. How do you explain that taking your loved ones into an area, in the dark, filled with drunken and ignorant people with high-powered boats is not "fun" by any definition. I normally just say that I'm not big on fireworks 'cause it's easier.:meh:

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Boating on weekend holidays is like going out for a drive late New Year's Eve. Your odds of being involved in a life-threatening accident increase significantly. For Labor Day, Memorial Day and the Fourth of July I will often just stay out of the water. Sitting in the golf car at the boat ramp with an ice chest of frosty adult beverages is way more enjoyable and interesting...

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Sitting in the golf car at the boat ramp with an ice chest of frosty adult beverages is way more enjoyable and interesting...
:laugh:

Ah yes.... docking can be a spectator sport for sure. You made me remember a very windy day when me and my family were picnicking near the state park ramp... :cowbell: Loved watching the pontoon boats try to dock with their extreme windage and inexperienced crews... :yikes:

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
highly trained, highly skilled seamen can look foolish docking a covered pontoon boat on a windy day, not just the inexperenced :)

May 27, 2015
Beneteau Oceanis 41 Havre de Grace MD
I love sitting on the deck at my house and watching the antics at the public boat ramp across the canal.

Oct 3, 2014
Marlow-Hunter MH37 Lake City, MN
jackdaw, is that you way back in the center passing your bota bag to that fine looking woman?
I thought that was @Jackdaw in the water, towards the bottom of the photo, with the captains hat on...

I'm thankful the lake we're on doesn't get crazy. Even though July 4th is one of the busiest days on our lake, it's still wide open. We sailed Sunday, Monday & Tuesday and there were only a half dozen times I had to think about who was stand-on and who was give-way. The lake, which is on the Mississippi River, is roughly 3 miles wide by 22 miles long and served by 3 marinas. In our marina maybe 15% of the boats were out. Even on the 4th you can find your solitude. What boggles my mind is how many boaters, power and sail alike, are back to the marina by 6pm. That last hour of sunlight is the most magical time on the lake for us.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I thought that was @Jackdaw in the water, towards the bottom of the photo, with the captains hat on...
LOL nope, we never go there. ;^)

It's crazy on days like that. Mostly because its the biggest (by far) recreational lake inside a metro area of 3.5 million people. Starting with that many people, it only takes a small slice of the crazies to show up and you get that.