I don’t know the story with this one!

Jan 19, 2010
13,036
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have a little 19 foot runabout and have been at the local boat ramp two days in a row. I saw this monstrosity yesterday and it was still there today. Looks like they might’ve had some problems with the hydraulics on the trailer. I don’t know if this is a private venture or if the county is pulling derelict boats out of water.

This beast, you could smell down wind… disgusting. All the seaweed and barnacles were rotting. I took a close-up of the prop. It looks like electrolysis has completely dissolved the prop off this boat long ago
IMG_8042.jpeg
IMG_8039.png
IMG_8040.jpeg
IMG_8043.jpeg
IMG_8044.jpeg
IMG_8047.jpeg
IMG_8046.jpeg
IMG_8045.jpeg
I.
 

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
24,788
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
And they say a free boat is a find.:yikes:
 

Joe

.
Jun 1, 2004
8,342
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
My boat neighbor for years had a boat like that, I can't remember the Make but it was a late sixties era boat. solid fiberglass, 26 or 27 feet. His was really nice, spent a lot of time on it, took to the island many times, Catalina and San Clemente. My point is, the crusties can be removed... A couple of weekends elbow grease and you might have a great week ender... even though it might come with a trailer, you'd really want to keep that boat slipped or moored to get it's full benefit. The cabin has standing room, there's a private head and a small galley. His boat was rigged with a 6 hp outboard. Plenty of power and easy to handle, because he took it off and stored it inside the cabin when he left the boat.
You never know the real story behind an abandoned boat. In most cases I think the owner got sick or passed away and the family just didn't know what to do with the boat. Fixed up with basic gear, but sail ready, it's probably a $3k or $4k boat. Used to be there were youth organizations that would take boats like that and fix them up as projects for the youngsters and teens. They'd learn to sail, take overnight trips, etc. often they would find a buyer which helped keep the non profit community service org above water financially (oops, sorry for that one.)
Anyway, don't be too hard on this classic plastic. They've given a lot of memories to a generation or two....so if they have no one to love any more, let's offer a salute and a dignified word or two to help them with the transition. (I'm starting to tear up, but I'm so afraid that's what's going to happen to my boat when I die.... old folks think about stuff like that.) sigh. Maybe something in the will to make inheritance conditional on properly disposing of the boat. Give it to someone... rather than just abandoning it. That's so sad.

On the bright side, there's probably no better time to buy a really nice sailboat. I've seen so many good deals. If I was sixty I'd pull the trigger on a beautiful Little Harbor 38 I saw listed and head for the south pacific.