I Can't Believe This

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Am I nuts? (I think this forum has probably answered that question but, speaking rhetorically…)

I have an invitation to go on the Great Chesapeake Bay Schooner Race aboard a two time winning boat I designed and, I’m not going.

It’s one of those opportunities you just say, “Yes, of course!” to and put all other thoughts out of your mind. However, in the process of planning schedules and where Dreameagle will join me, I realized that I am in grave danger of breaking my promise to both of us not to let our cruise of the Lowlands (NC, SC, and GA) turn into one of my mad dashes.

Those of you who followed me last year may remember how I had just gotten to Georgia and realized that I love the Sea Islands as much as Maine when I turned around, and headed north two days later. I had very good reasons at the time but Georgia has been on my mind ever since. We also want to spend some time with some of Dreameagle’s family in Charleston and need to be back in upstate New York by Thanksgiving. Leaving from the bay after a challenging race and even more challenging partying just doesn’t look like it is going to work.

A nail in the coffin of my race participation came in the form of an in-play proposal for another research vessel design. I can contribute to that while traveling in Strider but not as a schooner crew member. It just seems like all of the stars are aligning, as the usually seem to do for me, to keep the boat moving onwards. Dreameagle saw everything from Hampton to Beaufort, NC last year so the plan now is for me to leave as soon as weather permits after return from my meeting about the current research vessel design on Thursday. Current weather reports show that possibly being as late Saturday or Sunday. Dreameagle will join me in Beaufort.

I also get to tell the woman I love that an additional week with her in the lowlands is more attractive than racing on a schooner. That isn’t quite the whole story but it should save me at least the cost of one bunch of roses via FTD Florists.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Did you hear that, Roger?

The world's smallest violin playing for your problems! ;)

Apr 13, 2009
Irwin 33 St Pete, FL
Re: I Can’t Believe This

Having sailed that race, I would have to say that you are nuts. However your reasons for not doing so prove otherwise. Schooner racing is real fun, unlike other round the buoys, small (relatively) boat racing that is stressful. But life has more than just the obvious fun and I think you made a good choice.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD

Aw, Roger.... I was going to wave to you on the schooner. Pat would have been one of my crew. All the same, best wishes for continued happiness whichever direction you go.

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine

A reminder to myself and others why an additional week and a more relaxed cruise in the lowlands seems like the priority right now:

The cabin seems pretty empty right now. Two more weeks...