I cannot even spell electricity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 16, 2005
- - Dallas Texas
I have a 1977 O'Day and had several toggle switches break, for the running lights, etc.

Not paying attention, I pulled out the fuses and now don't know what volts go in the fuse container for each toggle switch. I put in new toggle switches....yea! but don't know what volts for the fuses. is there a table for x volts for running light x volts for radio x volts for cabin light ??????? I spent time on the internet and never found an instruction, etc.

thanks

Tom Irwin

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Everything is 12V. What you want is the amp (current) rating of each circuit which is a function of the wire size, not the load. The fuses exist to protect the wiring, not the load. Do you know what size wiring you have?

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
if you use 10 amp fuses you should be ok..... most wire for any lighting will handle 10 amps long enough to blow the fuse.
5 amps would be a bit weak and 7.5 or 8 amp fuses are not so common to come by..... carry extra fuses with you.....

Jan 16, 2005
- - Dallas Texas
if you use 10 amp fuses you should be ok..... most wire for any lighting will handle 10 amps long enough to blow the fuse.
5 amps would be a bit weak and 7.5 or 8 amp fuses are not so common to come by..... carry extra fuses with you.....
thank you

Tom

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
10 amps are used for most lighting, but not so with electronics. Check your electronics manual to determine what fuses you might need, such as a 1 amp or 3 amp fuse and sometimes called a "slow blow" fuse. And, fuses do protect the load as well as wiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.