I am a new 1981 Hunter 36 owner....

May 22, 2020
Hunter 34 Pensacola
My dream starts today!

I think I just stole a boat for 4k. It was repossessed by the marina and I bought it for the slip fees they owed. I paid 4 grand for a 36 foot sailboat that seems to be in good condition mechanically. Needs a few things and some cleaning, but otherwise nice!

I'm a sailboat moron. The boat is in a marina in Pensacola Florida. I've got so much to learn.

Here's my question.... where is the best place to connect with others who may be able to guide me as I start the process? I saw someone post this forum, so I joined, but if there is a better place for the particular boat I own, i'd appreciate if someone could point me toward it.

I'm so stinking excited, but I know that's gonna wear off at some point... but this will be fun!

Thanks in advance for the advice and help. Much appreciated. Also, if anyone is near Pensacola and would be willing to help guide me, I'd be happy to help in return in way I can (money included)

Marc

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
#1) Make sure you get a clean title #2) Have a surveyor conduct an inspection, so you can know the condition of the boat and what may need to get fixed. #3) Consider insurance, if needed the surveyors report may facilitate it. The big ticket items in a sailboat are 1) the hull, 2) the sails, 3) the auxiliary engine, 4) the standing rigging and 5) the electronics. I strongly urge you to get tow insurance. An 81 H36 in good sailing condition can be purchased for around $15K to $20K so you have a budget of $11K to $16K to get it into that good sailing condition. The surveyor could perhaps be able to help you formulate a quick and dirty calculation of how much it would cost to get this boat there. Oh, get your own Surveyor and not one suggested by the Marina. Welcome to the forum, you will find people to answer all kinds of questions you may have about the boat, boat handling and all other aspects of sailing.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
This is the best place to get help! Look especially at the Cherubini Hunter forum on the hunterowners.com branch of this site. John Cherubini designed the Hunter line from the 70’s through the early 80’s, and all of our boats share similar problems and solutions. But it’s also true the all “classic plastic” boats from that era used the same technologies and share the same solutions.

The 36 is a great boat. I concur with the need for a survey. Ours outlined our maintenance work for the first 7 years. Luckily, we were able to enjoy sailing her from day one! Another thing I would do is find a sailmaker, and have him/her look at your sails. Almost any sails will move the boat, but the difference between old, blown out sails and new ones is remarkable.

Then there is the project of developing a sailing captain. That’s you! Books have already been recommended. Where do you plan to keep her? Visiting a local yacht club would be a good first move. Crewing on another boat, would be another. A cruising sailing course on board their boats would be a third. Are you totally new to sailing?

Fair winds and following seas on your new adventure. Don’t hesitate to ask any question here! And try searching the forums. Often, you can find just the right discussion there.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
.................where is the best place to connect with others who may be able to guide me as I start the process?................I'm so stinking excited, but I know that's gonna wear off at some point... but this will be fun!
Congratulations on your new boat and welcome to the forum. To add to what others have said consider joining a sailboat yacht club to mingle with other sailors and meet sailors at your marina. I might add that your dream never ends and your excitement will never wear off and you will your crave for new experiences, such as racing, flying a spinnaker, anchoring or simply hanging out at the boat and developing new projects. Everytime I go to my boat, sail overnight to a destination, clean it or upgrade something it puts a smile on my face.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
1) the hull,
@Benny17441 gave you a great list and suggestions - definitely hire a surveyor.

I'd only add some detail on his "1) the hull" - for my mind, that means you need to check all through hulls with shut off valves and the stuffing box in addition to the structural condition of the hull and deck.

Welcome, there are a number of Cherubini Hunter owners here - several very knowledgeable on these boats. Also folks that run this web site have a lot of knowledge. You've come to a good place.

dj