I-30 draining question

Dec 22, 2012
Islander 30 Bahama Keyport
While I'm still pursuing a cockpit (or similar) leak problem, I'm curious about the drainage design behind the engine. (I've only owned this I-30 for one season). What's happening to me is that any water that arrives in the area aft of the engine, including stuffing box drips, accumulates in the pan underneath the engine. That water has nowhere to go and, if not emptied while under sail, will spill over during a heel and go all over the cabin sole.
Ignoring for the time being that I need to find the leak, I don't understand why the water isn't directed to the bilge. My I-28 had an exit from the engine compartment to the bilge. I dutifully kept an oil absorption sock to deal with any oil leakage. Any thoughts or explanations would be appreciated.

Katica

Jun 1, 2010
Islander Bahama 30 Elk Rapids, MI
While I'm still pursuing a cockpit (or similar) leak problem, I'm curious about the drainage design behind the engine. (I've only owned this I-30 for one season). What's happening to me is that any water that arrives in the area aft of the engine, including stuffing box drips, accumulates in the pan underneath the engine. That water has nowhere to go and, if not emptied while under sail, will spill over during a heel and go all over the cabin sole.
Ignoring for the time being that I need to find the leak, I don't understand why the water isn't directed to the bilge. My I-28 had an exit from the engine compartment to the bilge. I dutifully kept an oil absorption sock to deal with any oil leakage. Any thoughts or explanations would be appreciated.
On my Islander Bahama 30, there is a drain underneath the engine pan that is easy to miss and clogs often. On mine there are a couple of tubes that go through the same passage so it clogs easily. One is the drain for the cooler. This drain is located at the aft end of the engine pan. Look for a couple of hoses disappearing under the pan. I had to pull them out and clean out the drain with a hose. Works a charm now.

Dec 22, 2012
Islander 30 Bahama Keyport
More work!

Thanks, K. I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about. It looks like a transmission hump on a rear wheel drive car. I saw the end near the stuffing box and you're right about a bunch of hoses going into it. I assumed that was its purpose. Didn't think it doubled as a drain. Really looking forward to removing the hoses and cleaning it! ;-)

On my Islander Bahama 30, there is a drain underneath the engine pan that is easy to miss and clogs often. On mine there are a couple of tubes that go through the same passage so it clogs easily. One is the drain for the cooler. This drain is located at the aft end of the engine pan. Look for a couple of hoses disappearing under the pan. I had to pull them out and clean out the drain with a hose. Works a charm now.

Jul 3, 2014
Islander B30 Lake St Clair
Anyone have time to take a pic

I've got this problem as well, and I wasn't sure where the water was coming from until I traced it back to the engine/ stuffing box drips.

Where is the drain, I've emptied it out but it fills up again.

Thanks, K. I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about. It looks like a transmission hump on a rear wheel drive car. I saw the end near the stuffing box and you're right about a bunch of hoses going into it. I assumed that was its purpose. Didn't think it doubled as a drain. Really looking forward to removing the hoses and cleaning it! ;-)