hydraulic backstay rebuild

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
I have a navtec hydraulic backstay that is in need of a rebuild, a local shop gave me an estimate of $800-$900. Can anyone recommend a shop that does rebuilds? What should I expect to pay for a rebuild? Someone at my club told me that he had his done for less than half that, although it started leaking again shortly thereafter. Maybe you get what you pay for.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
We had our rigger re-do our gaskets and O-rings for about 2/3 what you were quoted, but we took it off and gave it to him to work on at his shop. If your estimate includes him going to the boat and removing it -- and the liability if the mast comes down - that may be why it's higher.

Jan 7, 2014
It's already off, I can bring to a shop or mail it. I bought a used one over the summer to replace the original one that was leaking badly. I kept the original one. I just noticed that the replacement one is also leaking and not holding pressure. I figured I'll rebuild the original one over the winter.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Doesn't sound like he wants to do it much. Ask around at other riggers? You could also take the ferry to Bridgeport and try Black Rock Boatworks at Bridgeport Boat Works.

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
I just had my Sailtec rebuilt. It wouldn't hold pressure for more than a day or so. Cost was $760, including a new gauge. It took a while to figure out the problem, which wasn't just seals.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Do you see much improvement on sail trim with the backstay adjuster? Better on a fractional or masthead rig? Just curious

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Better on a fractional or masthead rig?
My thoughts are the type of effect it has on the different rigs cause it to be functional on both but to a different level.

Masthead rigs:
Most often the mast is stiff top to bottom. The rig is powered primarly by the foresail. Why we see the mast a little further back from the bow, and a larger foresail on the boat.​
The backstay pulls the mast aft stretching the forestay taut. This stretches the sail luff allowing the sail to be trimmed flatter. This position improves the foresail ability to point higher.​
This action also has the effect of pushing the mast down on the boat keel, and stiffening the hull slightly.​
When the backstay is eased, usually when sailing off the wind, the foresail becomes more rounded and powered up​

Fractional Rigs:
These rigs are more MainSail centric as the power is in the Mainsail. The masts are more flexible. Applying tension to the backstay will add a bend the top 20% of the mast altering the shape of the top 30% of the mainsail.​
Trimming the backstay gives the fractional rig an additional trim feature to maximize sail performance​

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
Sailtec is pretty proud of their gauge. That was about a third of the cost. There were some other innards that got replaced as well. More then just the seals.

The Yamaha is a masthead sloop, with a baby stay and relatively flexible mast. The backstay adjuster can put quite the curve in the mast.

Jan 7, 2014
Thanks for the advice. I have seen kits for around $200 but I think I may go with the rebuilder he gets some great reviews. my luck, I'll spend the 200 and then need a complete rebuild anyway. I already sunk 275 into a used one.