Hydraulic backstay for Hunter 40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Henry Lopez

I have a 1984 Hunter 40 with the deep keel configuration that I club race. I have a Hood Sea Furl 5 roller furling headstay (twin grooves)that I utilize sails that I must hoist. I have a minimum of headstay sag. The boat has a split backstay configuration. I would like to install a Navitec hydraulic unit to the cabling that would be routed from one side of the aft stern area through a block (large stainless pulley_down to the other side. The cabling would terminate at the plunger of the hydraulic unit. Have any of you out there in cyberspace completed such an arrangement on a Hunter 40. There is some pre-bend in the mast, and of course the B&G spreaders. Would I need running backs? Would the hydraulic unit provide enough pressure to tighten the headstay. Plan B is to tighten the turnbuckle in the roller furling gear to approximate the wind condition. I hope you won't think I'm trying to make a racehorse out of a basically cruising boat. The boat has performed well in recent races as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.