Hurth Transmission Problem??

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
Hi all,
I hope everyone is safe and healthy?

Just to get ahead of a potential transmission problem on my '97 MKIII with 650 hours on the engine. We re-launched the boat last Saturday and everything checked out beautifully. All fluids at optimal levels. Yesterday, while I was checking the shaft packing, I was shifting between forward and reverse, carefully, and noticed that once or maybe twice, the trans did not go into reverse as quickly as it normally does. There was maybe a 2 second delay. Incidentally, I replaced both control cables and adjusted the linkages last Autumn. So, no problem there.
Before I waste any precious cleaning and setup time, has anyone had this happen?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
“No problem there”????
My first guess is that you re-check the linkage adjustments on the new cables. Too much of a coincidence the problem occurred right after you did the replacement.

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
“No problem there”????
My first guess is that you re-check the linkage adjustments on the new cables. Too much of a coincidence the problem occurred right after you did the replacement.
Thanks for the quick reply Don. One of the checks I just made was to insure I was getting full throw on the tranny position arm. The neutral position is at the perfect angle which allows the arm to move to it's end points cleanly, as well as my manually shifting at the tranny by pushing the arm in both directions and watching it shift forward and reverse.
Thanks again.