Hurricane Proof Dodger

Oct 30, 2019
I'm looking for some ideas for a hurricane-proof dodger design. I'm not opposed to fabricating a hard dodger...perhaps with a soft front. Is anyone using a dodger that they consider virtually indestructible? Where was the dodger and hardware made? Do you have a design?

I'd really like to add it to my winter project list, along with self-tailing winches (so if anyone has a line on a couple, let me know).

Thanks,

Jack

Ps - I'm racing in a local regatta at the end of the month (on someone else's boat of course). The first place prize is a quarter barrel of beer. Second place is two quarter barrels. Third place is three quarter barrels. That just struck me as funny and worth sharing!

Pps - We'll be jockeying for third place!

Oct 30, 2019
You might want to check out an innovative idea by Yves Gélinas of Cape Horn Self Steering fame, on his Alberg 30, \'Jean de Sud\'.

His dodger frame is inflateable, and will collapse in a heavy sea, only to pop up again when the water runs off!

Check it out, about two thirds down this page:

Peter
#1331 \'Sin Tacha\'

Oct 30, 2019
Peter - That's really interesting and actually makes some sense. I'm not sure I would know where to start, though. There are just too many questions about construction and installation that I could never answer. But thanks for the suggestion!

Jack

scajax

Oct 31, 2019
i recently built a simple and strong hard dodger using off the shelf materiel from home depot....hurricane proof......is a tall order....see pictures of this @photos section.....MINI PEARL V 2660 espin

Oct 30, 2019
Espin - I recall seeing your dodger, its very nice and probably exactly what I'd like to do. Do you have some instructions you can throw together? Maybe some measurements and a materials list, too? As much detail as you can provide is appreciated. Although I do all my own work (electrical, mechanical, motor, glass, etc), I'm not exactly what one might call skilled labor.

Thanks,
Jack

scajax

Oct 31, 2019
jack....i call the dodger my igloo.......willput together general fab info tomorrow and post...espin

Oct 25, 2008
Albin Marin Vega Bogue Chitto, Miss
i wish someone had chosen a different name for this post/thread. nothing is hurricane proof, esspecially anything on a 27' sailboat. I hope anyting that catches the wind can be detached and stowed should even a strong gale or storm condition is ever anticipated!!!

K.L.Magee

Feb 12, 2008
What about building one with inflatable hypalon supports (like those inflatable kids jumping houses) that attaches with velcro and has a locating beacon in it. That way when it is left up in a hurricane, the dodger will just rip off and not damage anything it bashes into as it flies away. Later, once the storm is over, you can use the locating beacon to go out and find it....

We once timber framed a very stout porch roof on a house that was on a very windy ridge (a house down the street was blown down while under construction). We always joked that if our porch roof was ever torn off the house in a violent windstorm, it was so stout that it would tear a chunk out of the house then careen through the neighborhood, demolishing every poorly built house in its path and finally come to rest, intact, downwind.

I'll stick with taking the dodger down in high winds....

Oct 30, 2019
I didn't mean for anyone to take the subject literally. I was just looking for some ideas about building a tough dodger. Although, the hypalon/velcro/beacon idea sounds appealing!

Jack

Oct 25, 2008
i have the one made by donna, which i got through steve birch. it is very strong, and has held up suprisingly well even during the two knockdowns emma gail suffered. when its time to replace it, i will have more canvas sewn on and stik with it. i can't imagine anything would do any better and it looks perfect for the boat.

K.L.Magee

Oct 25, 2008
but her name may not be donna...i have the hardest time remembering the names of people ...always have...maybe its Linda or its something like that..maybe Steve B could help.

K.L.Magee

Aug 1, 2000
I agree, I too had one made by Diane a few years ago; she does a great job of it. It's very sturdy and I had it up on "Flicka" for several years without ever taking it down.

Hans Heiduck