Hurricane Pirating and Freebies

Aug 18, 2019
Columbia 26 Hampton
Is it a common thing for people to loot loose boats after a hurricane? What sort of safeguards are taken to prevent this?

How long does it usually take to clean up the boat massacre?

Is it prime time to claim possibly abandoned boats?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
You should be aware that once an insurance company declares a vessel a total loss, it is very difficult to get insurance on that hull again. This is to minimize fraud. The insurance companies do keep track of these things.
Any modern boat that has been sunk, especially if the builder used plywood anywhere in the construction, will probably require much more work and expense than it is worth to make it seaworthy again. One would also need to replace every bit of wiring that went under salt water.
Boats on land that were knocked over by the storm could have damage that may not show up for some time. Catastrophic damage that could render the boat nothing but scrap. Be very careful before embarking on this route to a 'cheap' boat.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Looting happens. Outboards, electronics, the easy stuff, especially. It takes a while for the winches and hardware to disappear. But they do. As far as I know local law enforcement doesn't do much to stop it.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Is it a common thing for people to loot loose boats after a hurricane?
The short answer is YES! We've had boats wash ashore on barrier islands after a major storm and it doesn't take someone long with a Sawzall or chainsaw to completely strip a boat.

What sort of safeguards are taken to prevent this?
Probably nothing short of then to stay with the boat. A shotgun might also help to dissuade looters. Just sayin'.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If the boat is adequately insured with a reliable insurer, there shouldn't be any worry about reimbursement for missing items. That's why we have insurance. That is not to say the that the loss of the second love of our life (the significant other being the first :biggrin:) is not an upsetting experience, however, after a hurricane the well being of a boat is probably the least of our worries or concerns.

Besides, where do you think all those great deals on used equipment found on eBay come from?

Aug 18, 2019
Columbia 26 Hampton
Is there much demand for moving sailboats out of harm's way? Eg. Moving owners boat from Bahamas to Mexico or even Chesapeake?

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Well, the cynical answer is that a lot of owners don't even bother to prep/secure their boat before a storm is potentially imminent. They certainly wouldn't spend money to have their boat moved out of harm's way.

I think it is a fabulous idea actually, as someone stated in the Dorian thread. Three days ago, those folks in Tampa had time to launch for New Orleans.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I think it is a fabulous idea actually, as someone stated in the Dorian thread. Three days ago, those folks in Tampa had time to launch for New Orleans.
If all you have is the boat and you have confidence in the computer models then yes, that might be an option. But what about if you have the boat and a house that you need to worry about? Abandoning the house to take a 400 mile sail doesn't sound like it's viable plan.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Agreed, but having been through so many direct and indirect hits in the past 60 years, my feeling is that you prep the house and leave it to fend for itself. It can take a lot more abuse than the boat, the insurance issues are usually more straightforward in the event of losses, and the house next door that wasn't prepped properly is not as big a danger to your house as the corresponding situation with neighboring boats. I also trust foundations more than docks, piers and fingers.

It's a tough spot to be in. My wife commented yesterday that if we didn't already live in Florida, we would probably not consider moving there.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...It My wife commented yesterday that if we didn't already live in Florida, we would probably not consider moving there.
My parents lived in Ft Myers, FL, for 30 years, and as mom pointed out they hever had a direct hit from a hurricane. The closest one was Punta Gorda, just above F.M., but not a probem for Ft.M that much.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I don't remember the name but a Hurricane went basically through the passage between Sanibel and Captiva (Blind Pass?) taking out the bridge there. That didn't hit Ft. Meyers?

reworb

Apr 22, 2011
Beneteau 311 Ft Myers Beach
I don't remember the name but a Hurricane went basically through the passage between Sanibel and Captiva (Blind Pass?) taking out the bridge there. That didn't hit Ft. Meyers?
I think you're talking about hurricane Charlie in 2004. That crossed Sanibel Captiva and then made a (2nd) landfall in Punta Gorda. Ft Myers was affected but not to the extant of the barrier island and Punta Gorda.

Two years ago Irma passed to the east of Fort Myers, I wouldn't say Fort Myers wasn't affected however the city of Fort Myers did not suffer a direct hit. I live Ft Myers Beach our house was without electricity for 10 days

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I think that's correct. I can't remember even who won the Superbowl last year - oh, that's right it was the Pat's!