Hurricane Mathew put my boat on the hard.. What do I do?

Karyon

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Red deer, Alberta
Every one mentions skids, what about air bags that tow recovery people use? Once you have the boat off the ground slide some big truck or tractor tires underneath the hull and keel, wrap a chain or strap around the tube and yank her back in the water.
Just another thought.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Maybe, but the last time an OP tried that he was suspended from the SBO forum for advertising his needs. I felt bad for that incredibly knowledgeable contributor, even sent money to his GoFundMe site, but alas the whole thing fell apart and the contributor rarely visits, even after his suspension terminated. This is really not the place to ask for financial assistance, but I really feel bad for this particular circumstance with End80. Help me help him. How can we do this?
I seem to remember when Zeehag was assaulted a help cry was raised here with no reprecussions.

End80

Oct 30, 2015
Grampian 26 Tybee Island GA
I had looked into those bags awhile back, if I recall, mine would require 5 bags to float/raise the boat , and each bag was something like $500 each.. But even if I had them, I'm don't think it would benefit this situation..

With all the suggestions of sleds and greased slides in mind, I discussed those post with Edwin and Jay, but neither of them agree it's the way to go. Nevertheless, with those suggestions in mind, I examined the area again, walking from the boat to the halfway point the marsh today again at high tide (7.1ft), with the water to my knees.. With little exception, my feet never sank into the mud - point being that the mud does not seem to be deep, two inches at the most. I had solid footing the entire span, so to me it seems a sled would hinder more than help. Sleds on the other hand seems more reasonable (in my mind anyway).

I'm also speculating that if the mud is only a couple inches deep, it would more likely serve as a slippery surface, then it would to cause suction. If I can just get it off the hill, then perhaps the anchor/comealong might then be enough to slide it cross the muddy marsh.

Is there a flaw with reasoning?

End80

Oct 30, 2015
Center of the marsh knee deep, and not sinking in mud at all.

The sailboat as seen from center of marsh..

From marsh center to river..

And the entire span from boat..

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Yep, if you can get it on greased skids or PVC pipe rollers supported by plywood and then use a come along & anchors to get it off the hill and into the flooded marsh, hopefully you are good to go with the power boats & trawler pulling you out on the next high tide.

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
If I can just get it off the hill, then perhaps the anchor/comealong might then be enough to slide it cross the muddy marsh.
Using an anchor + come along, you should be able to slide the boat onto the plywood, if you can somehow anchor the plywood steady. Then from that point forward, attach the chain to the plywood.

End80

Oct 30, 2015
Again.. it seems to me like the plywood would create even more resistance in this situation.

Would slippery mud really cause much damage if the side of the hull dragged through it?

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
Again.. it seems to me like the plywood would create even more resistance in this situation.
The purpose of the plywood... THICK plywood, is to keep the rounded hull and keel off the ground, and spread the horizontal load over a wider area. If you drag the boat just 2-3 feet, it will just dig into the mud. As the ground gets muddier (closer to the water), the propensity to sink increases. The plywood minimizes the sinking because it spreads the pounds/sq inch over a wider area.

For instance, you are building a deck, and you place the 4x4 posts directly on the dirt... What happens? It sinks. If you place the 4x4 on a slab, it sinks less. Same concept.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Perhaps if you anchor the plywood to the bow, the boat will slide up onto it as you drag it forward?

End80

Oct 30, 2015
Actually, as the boat is sitting, there will be a decline coming off the hill as it enters the marsh. So I guess it would kind of fall onto the plywood as it comes off the hill.

End80

Oct 30, 2015
The point I was making is that the mud is only a couple inches deep.. or so it seems when I walk across the marsh - So if that be the case then there's nothing for the boat to sink into, so why be concerned about distributing the weight with plywood?
It would seem redundant.

Or perhaps I'm just not understanding your points.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
That will do it; lots of horsepower & heavy duty towline!!
I don't think that scratching the hull was a priority here!!
Wondering if they had to cut a few trees to get a clear path to water??

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Yah, that's pretty simple,
heavy tow line......check
clear path to float.......check
10,000 HP tug...........double check and mate.....
I am sure that didn't cost anything to do, neat video though.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
Ok, I know you've been down this path before but I'm going to throw out an idea. You mentioned that airbags are about $500 each and you need probably 4 to move the boat. How about going to the local truck stop and getting 6-8 truck innertubes (should be about $20 each). Head out to the boat with a portable generator & air compressor (rented if needed), you can place the innertubes by lifting up on either bow or stern (maybe digging a little). Those tubes will inflate to a very large volume and will lift a tremendous amount of weight. Now at least the boat is off the marsh and not dragging the keel. You may even be able to move the boat by partially inflating a tube and then rolling it off the tube towards your destination.

I know your frustrated and hopefully some of the ideas from this forum will help.

Keep us posted & Good luck

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Wow. No skids, no greasy plywood, just a big tow boat!

If they can pull a 50-footer out like, a 28-footer should be a lot easier.

Hate to say it, but you need to hire a big boat to just yank her off the hard.
If your friend with the boat moved it 4 feet, I think you should buy him a BIG rope, and get him to pull her again. No need to wait for high tide.

That 50-footer still had her rudder in place and everything. And I assume she was still floating after they got her in the water.

Go for it already!

Greg

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Two anchors, two come-alongs.. Pull bow till mast is pointing to where ya want to go.. second come along on stern.. pull stern 6-8 feet, then pull bow 6-8 feet; walk it (leaving both pullers attached) with keel behind (it won't dig in since you are pulling away from it).. you'll have to reset the anchors a few times as you slowly go toward where the mast is pointing. Sliding on the grass will keep the hull from sticking .. You should be able to walk the boat to where the guy with the big boat will be OK with pulling it to deep water.. Not easy but will work.

Last edited:
May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
1+ kloudie1

the key will be getting an anchor(s) that won't pull out. or chain/cables won't break.
a jeep/off road winch might work too. (but you'll need more battery than you can probably carry.)

I'd bet that barge was using cable. no line involved. too much stretch.
find somebody that has a 35'+ boat with all chain rode. and attach a comealong to that. (bring shackles to insert into chain, at different points.

it sure looks like that 1st 10 feet is the problem, once in the marsh anything should be able to pull it out.

Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
This looks simple enough:

If I were the OP, I'd be a little bit miffed that you posted this. I'm sure he realizes this is quickest, surest, and most obvious solution, but he stated early on in the thread that he doesn't have the money to pay professionals to do the job.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
At least the video demonstrated a way to pull a boating the beach. I liked the way the wraps showed how the pulled the hull up and in direction based on them being around the keel and together under the boat. No digging in as was speculated in earlier posts.
I like the inner tube idea. It might work if they are secured to the boat. At least until the boat is in the marsh in the water.