Hunter Tank Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 4, 2009
Hunter 386LE Gulf Shores, Alabama
This monitor (picture attached) is original equipment on 2004 Hunter 386LE. It reads full tanks empty and empty tanks full and WILL be replaced. Cursory knowlege (and common since) lead me away from replacing with same and I'm a betting some of you fellas have had similar problems here. If so, please share your remedies. Thank you.

Attachments

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
The remedy for your problem may be very simple

If full is reading empty and vice versa, but they otherwise work fine, it could be that they're simply wired to the panels backwards...and putting the right wire with the right light will fix it.

Your monitor was actually made by Snake River Electronics...Hunter just put their name instead of SRE's on the panel. Snake River is out of business. If you need a replacement monitor, this is the one you want http://www.newprovidencemarine.com/ All their components are interchangeable with Snake River, so you'll only have to buy the parts you need (if any)...and Dennis Ferriello is the most helpful person on the planet and will only try to sell you something if you actually need it. Give him a call. Meanwhile, I'm sure others will jump in to recommend his products and him.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Hunter 420 cheseapeake
I take it your boat has always had this problem. If it hasn't then swapped wires are unlikely. In any case have you gone thru the calibration procedure? If you have not I bet that solves your problem.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 33 Santa Barbara
Re: The remedy for your problem may be very simple

Re: Peggy's reply referencing newprovidencemarine.

I also have a problem with my 2004 Snake River unit (only diesel tank, others work great), and was going to remove the sensor (rod in fuel tank) and the panel unit and mail to SnakeRiver for calibration, after talking to their technician just a couple of weeks ago (7/09). I was given a Sweet Home Oregon address to mail to. I found their url http://www.snakeriverelectronics.com/Snake_River_Electronics/default.asp They appear to be part of Diamond Distribution. So, are there two competing businesses?

Michael

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Just one... A short history...

The Snake River Electronics who made the gauges Hunter used was located in Idaho. Dennis Ferriello was their national sales manager for a number of years and succeeded in selling their gauges to just about every RV and houseboat mfr and a lot of power and sail builders. When the level of quality began to slip, Dennis became quite discouraged...enough so that he quit...and he and SR did NOT part ways amicably. Nor did it seem that SR had thought to put a "non compete" clause in Dennis' contract...'cuz he promptly hired SR's head engineer and started his own company--New Providence Marine--making his own line of gauges--the Profile monitors.Then he set about taking ALL the OEM business away from SR...and succeeded so well that he put SR out of business.

Enter a company (name unknown, or maybe just people hoping to start a company) who THOUGHT they could outsource mfrng for a price that would allow 'em to sell the gauges dirt cheap. So they bought what was left of SR's assets, along with as much inventory as the Idaho plant could turn out in a few weeks...and THEN did the homework they should have done before they bought SR, 'cuz they found out what it would really cost 'em to outsource mfrg...and that was the end of that idea.

It appears to me that all the new owners did since then was hire a distribution/sales rep...which would be Diamond Distribution, who has a facility in AL..and who put up website for SR in 2007. The price list is still a 2008 price list, and from what I've been able to learn ALL they've done since is unload all the inventory they got from Idaho. Customer service/tech support is non-existant...just someone who answers the phone at Diamond's offices. I have NO idea what's in Oregon...that doesn't even show up in their website.

Meanwhile, Dennis is going strong offering an excellent product for a fair price and providing the best customer service on the planet.

And that, as Paul Harvey used to say, is the REST of the story.

Jul 4, 2009
Hunter 386LE Gulf Shores, Alabama
So, I talked to Dennis (thanks again Peggy), who suggested and sent calibration instructions for fuel sensor (re: pete0001) and says, "that could very well fix her up". He also says, "get some silver duct duct tape (the bright shiny tape, not grey) and try running a piece along the waste and water tank sensors". If that doesn't fix it there, buy and install new sensors, cuz the display monitor is probably OK. Like Peggy said, Dennis is happy to sell me a new unit if needed, but most interested and helpful in getting the old one working. Good Guy.

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter 376 New Bern, NC
Dennis, helped me with my water tank gauge. He was great to work with.. I now have a gauge that works...

Shippy

Jun 1, 2004
Hunter 356 Harve de Grace
Shoeless, can you share those instructions with everyone.....I think I have them but it would save time searching for them if you have them. thanks t

Status
Not open for further replies.