Hunter poor quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jodele Toepfer

I owned a hunter 26. It was nearly new (12 months old). In the end of last summer the center-board broke off. I contacted hunter and I had the impression, they did anything, to "forget about my messages", to "loose my photographs send to them" and so on. When I insisted on clarification, they told me, my problem was not covered by their warranty. The repair was done in Europe. The people doing it, told me, that the boat was of poor production-quality. I will never again buy a hunter-boat. For me these boats are some kind of water-caravans. They are build to sit on the water, not to sail. Even the large boats are "big seats and apartements", however, don't miss the nice summer evenings, to go out into the sea, be happy, if wind does not become too strong. If you want a caravan hunter is OK. If you want a seagoing boat, look for good quality and seamenship!

B

Bob Knott

Just go away

If you really feel this way just go away, we don't have anything to learn from you when you vent like this. Look we all have problem with our boats, and how we deal with them is part of the sailing life. Get creative, find solutions, don't be part of the problem, be part of the solution. By the way Eddie Breedan at Hunter Customer Service is 1st rate and always answers calls promptly and has even covered stuff on my 96 Hunter 280 that he didn't have too. Thats why when we traded up to a 380 we bought our second Hunter. Are their quality issues, sure, but hey it's great to have their customer service team behind us, I can't imagine how much worse it would be if they acted like most manufacturers and just referred you back to the dealer. Sorry this is not menat to sound like a Hunter commercial, it's just they've always treated us great, maybe because we are nice to them and ask their help rather than negative and demand satisfaction. It's all in YOUR attitude. Best wishes and hope you get your problems corrected. Bob Knott

D

DJ Dreyer

This is the place

This is the place to say what you feel about Hunter, BOTH good and bad. Just be fair in how and about what you say BOTH good and bad. I have had problems with Hunter and their customer and dealer support but this was back in 1984-87 time frame. I gave up contacting them after that so I don't know how they are now. I do know this site is a great place to exchange ideas. I have lived with Hunter's short sightedness in their construction of my H34 and cursed them many a time because of it. Since then, I believe and hope they have changed for the better. However, because of my experiences back in 1984, I am very uneasy with buying a NEW boat from Hunter. Would I buy a H34 again (new or used)? Sure, but I'd only use it like I do now, for Coastal Cruising and I'd first make sure it had new nonskid on the deck, a stainless steel mast kingpost, rewired electrical system … :)

G

lets here both sides

I am interested in purchasing a Hunter 260 and have been reading this sight to gather information about the quality of Hunters, so I appreciate both positive and negative experiences by Hunter owners not just positive fluff. while the 260 has all the features and room I am looking for in a trailerable cruiser I have decided not to purchase one because of to many owners lack of quality concerns

D

Doug B

Go buy a $300,000 yacht then

I think it strange that people buy a used boat for 20 to 60K or new for 80 to 100K and expect the quality found in a Hinkly or a Swan. Could you imagine someone buying a 1975 Ford and complaining that the Mercedes shop in Europe calling it poor quality? Hunter affords people like us (1988 beautifully refitted, albeit not perfect h33.5 for $60K after replacing everything plus all new canvas and dodger, electronics, etc)to enjoy the sport of sailing, cruising without selling our homes to do it. Even famous world class racers in million dollar boats die during offshore sailing. Remember, Hunter is not competing with Bavaria and Pacific Seacraft. They are competing with companies like Catalina (I will take the Hunter, thank you). I bought a 10 year old boat and have found the service dept. in Alachua,FL treats me like royalty. You must have done something for them to avoid you like the plague. Happy sailing, Doug.

M

Mike Burke

hunter poor Quailty

I agree with the last post. I'm considering an '83 Hunter 27(around 12,000). Because I cant afford 60,000 for similar year and size Island Packet. You take the good with the bad. I see it that my family will be able to sail and vacation on a boat. Most of the problems that are encountered are correctable. Some work should be expected on a sailboat of this age. If you are not able or willing to do the work by a new one. I fully expect that most everything will need repair and upgrading. To me though that is part of the fun of ownership.

W

Wynn Ferrel

My .02 cents on Hunter quality

I totally agree with the prior two posts. 1. You've got to take the good with the bad. 2. We didn't buy $300,000 boats. A further point or two. I purchased a new H340. It makes no difference if your boat is old or new. Stuff happens! And when "stuff happens," it will require your involvment and someone's time and effort to get the problem corrected. To simply trash Hunter because one is unable or unwilling to spend the time or money to correct the problem is not a fair postion to take with Hunter, especially when one considers the "price/value" equation of Hunter boats. Back to Point Tne. I paid UNDER six figures for my new 34 foot boat. What's a Tarten or an Island Packet cost for 34 feet? 50-75% more? For me to pay 50% more for this size boat is not an option for me at this time. I wouldn't be sailing. So, now I have a 34 footer, that is really a pretty darn nice boat, with some components that are admitadly not "the best," and fittings that are not as stout as other boats I have seen. But, this boat suits me fine for the type of sailing that I do. Until I can afford a better quality boat than what I have, I will be content with my Hunter, take wonderful care of it and be very proud of my purchase. And further, generally speaking, Hunter has been very good to deal with, including my dealer. Have I had to work? You bet. Have I had agravation? You bet. Have I spent many hours working on my boat and equipment instead of doing other things? You bet. And I wouldn't trade a minute of it. It has been a terrific personal experience for me and I am learning and growing in this sport and as a boat owner. I see a lot of posts on this forum that I think take a lot of things for granted. Sailboat owners should NOT assume that things don't break and things don't go wrong --- and usually at the worst time. Sailboat owners should not assume that it won't be WORK and EXPENSE to maintain a boat in top condition. But, then again, I thought that was one of the things 'good seamanship" was all about. There is another thread on the HOW forum where the owner has a 336 and just trashed Hunter all over the place. If you read his first post carefully, I think you can see the guy just hasn't worked too hard on his boat. "Stuff happens" that will require WORK to rectify. You've got to get involved with your boat, not just let it deteriorate. And at the Hunter quality level, as opposed to an Island Packet or a Tartan it may deteriorate a little sooner. Now, back to point two. Good sailing, Wynn Ferrel S/V Tranquility

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
About Those $300,000 Boats...

..I do know a few people with them. Short list of problems: 1. Autopilots 2. Leaking ports 3. Plumbing and pumps 4. Electrical generating systems 5. Through-hull electrolosis 6. Blisters Sound familiar? They do have nice all-teak interiors. (Stained where the ports leaked) Lots of drawers and storage. Beautiful joiner work and less veneer. Upholstery doesn't last any longer, but thick foam and good materials to start with. Are they worth the money? Sure; ask the people who own them. The problems? Just a part of boating. I had a wood boat for 19 years. Used to envy how little time others seemed to spend on fiberglass boats. Now I realize how much time it takes regardless. I used to be able to paint a deck every couple of years for a lot less work than the waxing and stripping. (Although, now I pay somebody to do that.) So, this is not a sport where everything is 'turn-key' and even the less handy owners will find themselves tackling jobs they never thought they would if they stay with it. Until the day you have a full-time Captain, somethings are not practically delegatable. Even then, you have to deal with the joys of having an employee..

Status
Not open for further replies.