HUNTER PASSAGE 42

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Terry Cox

Is there someone out there that has blue water voyaging experience with the Hunter Passage 42 that they would like to share with me? I'm looking for information about how the boat withstands the rigors of extended ocean voyages. Thanks. Terry

T

Terry Cox

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Bill, thank you for your comments. I will let you know what I find out from the two addresses that you provided. Good beating. Terry

T

Terry Cox

THANKS

Henk, thanks for the info. I'll try your search suggestion. Would you be interested in a dialogue about you and your boat? My e-mail is tandpcox@gte.net. Thanks again. Terry

T

Terry Cox

FOLLOW-UP

Henk, I just finished the search as you suggested, but found no articles about the Hunter 42 Passage. So, if you would like to share your thoughts, I am very insterested in a dialogue. Ms. Beth Leonard, the author of "Voyager's Handbook", is an excellent source on blue water sailing. The book is out of print, but West Marine has a few of her books in their East Coast warehouse. Again, my e-mail is "tandpcox@gte.net". Regards, Terry

J

John Richard

A friend just spent 4 years cruising

Terry, I recently talked with an acquaintance who just returned from Baja California. He sailed his 42 down the coast from San Francisco. He did some extensive upgrading on the boat for the extended time. Including adding a 200 amp alternator with a double belt drive. He said the boat worked out flawlessly and was a delight to sail. John Richard s/v Jack's Place

T

Terry Cox

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT

John, thanks for your reply. Do you happen to have an e-mail address for this friend? I'd like to find out how the boat held up and/or handled in certain situations. Regards, Terry

B

Bill

See Me

Terry I am back on J-5 south in Everett. We are getting our 42 ready to head south in a couple years. I have colected some info that may help. Also I can go over what I am going to do to get the boat ready.

Jun 5, 1997
Coleman scanoe Irwin (ID)
Terry; beats me what you're doing wrong

I just typed the same search terms again and am getting plenty of useful articles (search page text copied below). Besides checking all 4 forum boxes you should also check the "match all words" box. I would love to help you more specifically but since you have provided no information about your own cruising plans (timeline, cruising area, season) and current state of preparation (skipper's experience, number and experience of crew) I see no point in rehashing generalities here and now. Best of Luck; Flying Dutchman HunterOwners.com Search Results Search results for "Passage 42 offshore" Found in current discussion forums: 2 forum posts Type "Passage 42 offshore" under Search - reply to "HUNTER PASSAGE 42" posted 02/05/2002 by Henk Meuzelaar about Hunter 42 H33 offshore (from Tim Schaaf) - reply to "H33's Offshore?" posted 02/03/2002 by Terry Arnold about Hunter 33 Found in forum archives (year 2001): 11 matches; displaying 1 - [end] Remove Lower Battery - reply to "passage 42 packing gland" posted 12/03/2001 by Bill Sheehy about Hunter 42 Hunter Offshore - reply to "Circumnavigation on a Hunter 420?" posted 11/14/2001 by Len Fagan about Hunter 420 The P42 can be readied; what about the skipper? - reply to "Circumnavigation on a Hunter 420?" posted 11/13/2001 by Henk Meuzelaar about Hunter 420 Looking at it right now - reply to "Circumnavigation on a Hunter 420?" posted 11/14/2001 by Bill Sheehy about Hunter 420 Always dream with eyes wide shut - reply to "Circumnavigation in a Hunter?" posted 10/26/2001 by Henk Meuzelaar about Hunter General_interest My personal favorite...so far - reply to "Perfect Ocean Crossing Vessel" posted 06/28/2001 by Bob Knott about Hunter General_interest A Fool and his money... - reply to "A dissenting voice" posted 06/08/2001 by Tom Hadoulias about Hunter 410 Mid Cockpits - reply to "Mid cockpits" posted 05/17/2001 by Gene Foraker about Catalina General_interest "Could I cross the Atlantic in this boat safely?" - reply to "information on strength of P42" posted 03/17/2001 by Henk Meuzelaar about Hunter 42 Sure, the P42 can take it; but what about Len? - reply to "information on strength of P42" posted 03/17/2001 by Henk Meuzelaar about Hunter 42 Next matches | New search Found in forum archives (year 2000): 8 matches better boats - reply to "Offshore Experiences" posted 12/14/2000 by ted about Hunter 380 (belated) reply to Paul Crossman - reply to "Close-hauled Tradewind Sailing with a Legend 43" posted 09/30/2000 by Henk Meuzelaar about Hunter General_interest P42 can cruise - reply to "Bluewater Vessel ?????" posted 06/27/2000 by Paul Cossman about Hunter 42 Passage vs Legend models the difference???? posted 05/31/2000 by Ken Duffield about Hunter General_interest P42--a decent cruiser - reply to "Passage vs Legend models the difference????" posted 06/03/2000 by Paul Cossman about Hunter General_interest Bluewater Hunters?? VERY LONG - reply to "Hunter for the High Seas?" posted 04/17/2000 by Larry Long about Hunter General_interest Legend 43; Strong and Weak Points - reply to "L45 v L43" posted 03/11/2000 by Henk Meuzelaar about Hunter 43 inner forestay - reply to "Innerforstay on p42" posted 02/27/2000 by Paul Cossman about Hunter 42 New search Found in forum archives (year 1999 and older): 2 matches Great Boat - reply to "Ocean Passages, would you take H42 round the world" posted 08/31/1999 by Bill Sheehy about Hunter 42 Additional Input - reply to "Ocean Passages, would you take H42 round the world" posted 09/01/1999 by Paul Akers about Hunter 42

T

Terry Cox

READY FOR MARRIAGE?

Henk, thanks again for your help. Sorry about the confusion. I'll try harder on my next search. My question (I think) applies more to the boat's ability to handle voyaging rather than crew size and experience, cruising plans, routes, etc. I would equate it to marriage. Knowing that I have voyaging plans on my mind for sometime in the future, is the P42 the kind of boat for those kinds of rigors? I realize there is no perfect boat, but I'm trying to minimize any future regrets, or at least understand its shortcomings. One sailor that I talked to said that a Hunter engineer told him that Hunter boats were not designed with voyaging in mind. Of course we know that sailors have voyaged in 24 foot fiber glass sloops solo and have fared well. This sailor could not explain what the engineer meant by his commnet. I really like the P42, but my question is fundemental; knowing that I have voyaging in mind is the P42 the boat that I want to marry, or will I find out later, she just was not meant for marriage? Good sailing! Terry

T

Terry Cox

HI SAILOR

Hi Bill, what time works best for you? Does later this afternoon work? I know where you are. You and I have talked before and you invited me aboard. Regards. Terry

T

Terry Cox

THANKS FOR THE ARTICLE

Bill, thanks for the article from your friend in New Zealand. I've sent him a couple of messages, but no reply yet. I'd like to hear more about the knock down incident that he experienced. Thanks agan. Terry

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Related to H-43

Terry, If you wanted more information you might want to broaden your search to include the H-43 which is on the same hull as the 42. I don't know if there is any difference in the rig but there should be more information. Several years ago a local couple from Port Ludlow sailed down the coast to Baja and then across to New Zealand and Austrailia then returned to Puget Sound via Hawaii. Shortly after returning I talked to him about his experience and learned some interesting things. Performance was what I'd call fantastic. Speed under sail, as I recall, was often in the 9-knot range because when it dropped below 6-knots he'd turn on the engine, which wasn't very often. The leg from Fiji (or there abouts) to New Zealand had a very small weather window and they took it. A couple cruisers left shortly before them and got caught but they got through just in time. He said it was boat speed that did it. A downside to his trip was loosing the mast some 6 or 800 miles out of Hawaii. Upon inspection it was determined most likely to be a failure of the forestay due to work hardening or metal fatigue. The cause for the metal fatigue was the fact he seldom used the jib because the boat speed was so good!!! He recommended keeping the forstay tension tight as much as possible which I do to this day (our H-35 has a backstay adjuster). Inspite of the mast problem he had lots of good words about the 43 and said it was a really great sailing boat. A several page article about his trip was printed in 48 North, a northwest sailing magazine. As a sidebar, a woman just rowed her boat across the Atlantic. The 12th person, or so, in a row boat?!

Jul 1, 1998
Chain Locker

A leaky chain locker is a problem area on Hunters because they didn't seal around the top of the pan. I can imagine that on a trip down the coast that water could be driven up the drain hole in the bow or they could have plowed into waves taking on water. It's easy to see where the problem is - just stick your head in there and look up at where the pan meets the underside of the deck. I wonder what Hunter did when they fixed it for him. Bill is right about an innerstay possibly having prevented the mast problem. If I was going offshore I would definitely have an innerstay installed. The ability to shorten sail and keep the sail plan low and inboard is an important contribution to making a boat sea kindly or seaworthy, not to mention the added safety factor.

T

Terry Cox

GOOD TO HEAR

John, thanks for the info. Do you remember which issue of 48 North his article appeared? I'm trying to recall how Hunter rigged the forestay (babystay}. I can see the mast attachment about where most other fractional rigs were set, but did they secure it to the deck just behind the chain locker or inside the chain locker? Also, would it be simply a matter of installing sealant between the pan and the under side of the deck to stop the water problem? Terry

Jul 1, 1998
Chain Locker Leak Fix

Chain Locker Leak Fix: There are several ways one could try to seal the top of the chain locker. (1) Sealant: I tried this but it was a messy job. The sealant likes to run downhill so I ceased after trying to run a strip. It's a very difficult place to work. I did get sealant around where the running lights disappear behind the pan and this was a leak source too. (2) Closed Cell Foam: This is another option but it really causes a mess and doesn't look "professional". (3) Fiberglass: This is what I want to do but I haven't figured out how to make it stick upside-down. Other chain locker leak areas mentioned on this site include the u-bolt and drain hole and these should be in the archives, including the recent archives. Innerstay: The attach point needs to be aft of the chain locker. Also, there needs to be structural support down to the keel and it's possible Hunter may have already designed something or have an idea how this should be done. 48 North article: I knew I'd be asked but I don't know which one. It was several years ago - 5, 6, 7? Ventilation: One thing I'd ensure there is pleanty of when cruising south is ventilation. Both cabin and lockers. Everybody I've talked to has mentioned about mold and mildew from the lack of ventilation in lockers and storage areas. Try to come up with something to keep things away from the hull liner - that seems to be the worst area. Traditionally teak strips have been used for this purpose but creative thinkers should be able to come up with other ideas.

T

Terry Cox

POULSBO OR BUST

John, thanks for all your help. I realy like the sail from Everett to Poulsbo. My last trip return was the best. Had south winds 15 to 20 knots, gusts to 30. Motored just enough to get out of the public marina, then sailed home on the jib alone in a following sea. Heavy chop with lots of white water. My hull speed is 6.2, but did 8.5 to 9.5 all the way. I saw one other larger boat heading south having a rough go of it against the seas. Terry

P

Paul JCossman

Inner forestay on Passage 42

Just read this interesting thread and thought I'd weigh in on the inner forestay addition. I've got a Passage 42 and installed the inner forestay using a piece of hardware that was made by Seco South using the drawing included in the original Passage 42 owner's manual. It bolts securely to the aft end of the anchor locker using a heavy chainplate. We have used our storm staysail on it many times during the last 25,000 miles or so. We're currently in Whangarei, New Zealand, on our second milk run trip through the Pacific (N. America through Polynesia, Melanesia, NZ, and back to the States). We always keep our inner forestay secured just for insurance. As an aside, our boat is a 1991 model, and last year a rigger found a small swage fitting crack (that I missed) on one of the shrouds. The shrouds were 10 years old and shot. I replace the forestay and backstay pretty regularly, though. Can't have too much insurance on those rigs. I recognize some names of people who responded to my inquiry several months ago about the reverse polarity light illuminating dimly when on shore power. Sorry I never got back to you guys--hard for me to get to email access very often. But as I'm only on shore power about a week per year, it hasn't turned out to be a big deal. But to answer some of you: yes, I replaced the shore power socket fittings on board the boat, replaced some questionable AC wiring, have had the problem on more than four different docks in different locations (countries, islands), and the light intensifies when the load is greater (such as when the water heater is being used electrically). I figure it's just increased resistance, and live with it. But back to the main issue: The P 42 is great for offshore cruising. Maybe not as great as some bigger, sturdier boats purpose built for that. But we figured it'd be better to be cruising now in a P 42 rather than working our butts off for another decade to afford a Hans Christian Offshore 48. Enjoy your cruising. The P 42 is a very comfortable and, I think, safe boat.

T

Terry Cox

INNER FORESTAY

Paul, thanks for your great article. So, if I understand, you secured (through bolted) a SS plate to the aft part of the chain locker pan? Is the pan reinforced to handle the load? Must be if it has held up for you. I've seen on some boats where they ran through bolts on the deck behind the chain locker maybe 12 inches. Did you end up installing a steering vane on your boat to handle the long periods at sea, or use your AP? How about a power source, like wind generator and/or solar panels? I know, a long extension cord, ha ha. Terry

P

Paul Cossman

watermaker

Terry, sounds like you'll have plenty of power for those batteries. You'll need it in the tropics to make all those ice cubes for the rum drinks! I have a PUR powersurvivor 40E watermaker, which is the upgrade to the old powersurvivor 35. It only makes 1.4 gallons per hour, at an energy cost of about 4 amps per hour. I already had it, and since we double hand, we only go through about 5 gallons of water per day. (If I were outfitting from scratch, I'd look at those Spectra watermakers: much greater output at much less power consumption. Unfortunately, also much greater cost). We used to mount our watermaker on the underside of the plywood pad that your genset sits upon. But I have since moved it to the bilge. It is mounted just forward of the basin which is the bilge for the shower/bath in the aft head. The hose runs were easy, and it is easier on the watermaker membrane itself since it is cooler in the bilge. (The motor is mounted vertically underneath the membrane, which is mounted horizontally. I drilled a few holes into the fore/aft hull support there, and bolted/5200'd a plywood holder to which I then bolt the watermaker). My friends Ken and Wendy on Someday is Here, a P 42 now in Tauranga, NZ, have a Spectra. It is modular, and their pieces are mounted in separate locations. They mounted their membrane in the bilge just forward of the compression post, so that it angles to port with part of it in that space that opens into the storage under the salon table. It works well for them. And they have enough water to use their washing machine! Going to Great Barrier Island tomorrow, and will be offline for over a month. Nice communicating with you. Will catch up with you all later. Cheers.

T

Terry Cox

GOOD SAILING

Paul, thanks for your advice. Have a safe journey. Talk to you when you get back. Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.