Hunter Passage 42 PSS shaft seal

Zaya

Jul 22, 2014
Hunter Passage 42 Providence, RI
Thinking of installing PSS dripless shaft seal on my 1994 Hunter Passage 42. Question for someone who already did this. What is exact size of PSS shaft seal I should order. Thanks.

Zaya

Jul 22, 2014
Hunter Passage 42 Providence, RI
You didn't answer my question, why post here if you have different boat and don't know the answer.

Jul 7, 2014
Hunter Passage 42 Jacksonville
Access to the shaft log is an absolute nightmare on these boats. You either have to remove the lower battery (mine are 8D AGM, somewhere around 160lbs) to get to it from the aft cabin or lay on top of the engine to get to it from the port engine access door.

I managed to get digital calipers around the threads of the packing gland/nut, on the end where it enters the hose. It read 1.78".

Did you install the PSS dripless yet? Can you (or anyone) with a Passage 42 confirm that the shaft log is 1 3/4"?

I'd really hate to pay for yard storage while waiting for the right part to come, so if I can't get an answer I may just order the two closest sizes and send back whichever one doesn't fit.

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
I had one for about 5 years, on a previous boat, twice the set screws came loose and the two graphite plates slipped apart before to long I found my bilge pump running constantly and my floor boards floating. After the second time I took a piece of sewage hose and strapped it around the prop shaft between the graphite plate and the back of the transmission permanently. The next boat came with one and I had it removed and went back to a stuffing box.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
twice the set screws came loose and the two graphite plates slipped apart before to long I found my bilge pump running constantly and my floor boards floating.
It's funny how every 6 months or so there's a post that suggests that this thing is responsible for sending boats to the bottom.

Apr 23, 2012
Hunter 430 Kemah
Seadaddler, thank you for your response, and time. I have learned a lot from others who did not own the same type of boat as mine.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
@tkwhalen there are two set screws in the sliding stainless collar and each set screw is stacked; you are supposed to put the first one in, tighten it, and then put in another (into the same hole) and tighten it against the bottom screw to lock it. How two (locked) set screws came loose? I suspect the installer didn't RTFM.
As for the leak -- just loosen the screws and push the steel collar against the seal face more firmly. BTW, the best dripless seals (IMHO) aren't sold in this country: Search the web for Deep Sea Seal Manecraft Wartsila
PS - PSS seals need to be "burped" to let out the air when you put the boat back in the water. If you don't do that it's possible to damage the facing.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Another plug for the LasDrop Gen II. I just like the design more. It also has a vent tube so burping isn't necessary.
They carry one for a 1.25" shaft

Maintenance : When vessel is out of the water for any period of time, it is recommended seal is washed down with fresh water.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
PSS has had a breather tube for years. Mine is one of the first series that had them.
No burp for you.

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
@tkwhalen there are two set screws in the sliding stainless collar and each set screw is stacked; you are supposed to put the first one in, tighten it, and then put in another (into the same hole) and tighten it against the bottom screw to lock it. How two (locked) set screws came loose? I suspect the installer didn't RTFM.
As for the leak -- just loosen the screws and push the steel collar against the seal face more firmly. BTW, the best dripless seals (IMHO) aren't sold in this country: Search the web for Deep Sea Seal Manecraft Wartsila
PS - PSS seals need to be "burped" to let out the air when you put the boat back in the water. If you don't do that it's possible to damage the facing.
Mine wouldn't tighten on the shaft, because it wasn't threaded all the way through the stainless collar.

Jun 14, 2010
PSS has had a breather tube for years. Mine is one of the first series that had them.
No burp for you.
So does mine -- and same for my prior boat. But I burp it anyway just to make sure there is a thin film of water between the mating surfaces.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2010
Mine wouldn't tighten on the shaft, because it wasn't threaded all the way through the stainless collar.
Defective. I'm sure they would replace it and overnight the shipping for free. PYI is a great company to deal with.

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
Defective. I'm sure they would replace it and overnight the shipping for free. PYI is a great company to deal with.
It was a simple fix, ran a tap through, but would advise anyone that buys one to run the set screws through first. You pay enough for them ,QC should be a little bit more awake.

Dec 14, 2018
Ericson/ Hunter Ericson 29 / Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
I use two hose clamps on the shaft against the collar as a backup to the set screws. Double clamp everything.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
If you have any doubts on the PPS dripless staying set when installed correctly, there is an additional locking collar which can be slid up against the seal and insert the stacked set screws in that as well.