Hunter Passage 42 Forward Window

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 42 San Diego
The forward window on my Hunter Passage 42 had crazing when I purchased it 6 years ago. I got a recommendation from Downwind Marine here in San Diego for a person that replaces boat plexiglass. I'm very disappointed in the result, and I'm wondering if anyone else has replaced their forward window and how it turned out. I showed the attached pictures to a plexiglass fabricator and he said what I have isn't normal.
20210826_110148.jpg
20210826_110141.jpg

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Looks like he used extruded plexiglass instead of cast plexiglass. Extruded is less expensive and much poorer optical properties

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I first thought it must be one hell of a hot day in San Diego with all those heat waves.

As @kloudie1 says, cheap extruded plexi as opposed to cast plexi.

You might want to thank the nice people at Downwind Marine for recommending this guy. Even for free, I wouldn't take it.

Jul 25, 2004
Hunter 42 currently in New Zealand
I replaced that front windshield on my 1991 Passage 42 in 2001. I dealt with Hunter, who informed me that although they owned the casting for that windshield, they had contracted out the manufacture. They put me in touch with the outfit and I ordered directly from the manufacturer. At the time I was also in San Diego (Harbor Island), and I had it shipped overland from Florida. It arrived in a HUGE crate on the back of an 18 wheeler. The product was perfect--identical to the original. If you intend to continue with your replacement, you might start by contacting Hunter for that manufacturer information. I'd search my receipts for you, but I can't get to my boat (due to the level 4 lockdown here in New Zealand). I ought to be able to get back to my boat in a month or so, however. Let me know if you'd still like that name.
Good luck,
Paul

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 42 San Diego
Thanks for the replys. I not sure what to do next. I haven't talked to the installer yet because I wanted to make sure this wasn't normal, and he hasn't sent a bill. I saw this today as I was getting something from the boat.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I'd offer to pay his quoted price, once he removes the piece of extruded plexiglass and replaces it with cast plexiglass. Of course, you know this was simply an accident on his part. Any problems and I'd tell him to hit the road.

I've seem a lot of boats at Vancouver boat shows and have never seen distorted glass like that ......................... because no one uses extruded acrylic for windows. Probably used in commercial work with lots of thermal bending. The waves don't show.

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 42 San Diego
I replaced that front windshield on my 1991 Passage 42 in 2001. I dealt with Hunter, who informed me that although they owned the casting for that windshield, they had contracted out the manufacture. They put me in touch with the outfit and I ordered directly from the manufacturer. At the time I was also in San Diego (Harbor Island), and I had it shipped overland from Florida. It arrived in a HUGE crate on the back of an 18 wheeler. The product was perfect--identical to the original. If you intend to continue with your replacement, you might start by contacting Hunter for that manufacturer information. I'd search my receipts for you, but I can't get to my boat (due to the level 4 lockdown here in New Zealand). I ought to be able to get back to my boat in a month or so, however. Let me know if you'd still like that name.
Good luck,
Paul
Hi Paul, I've just gotten into the serious back and forth with the installer. Pretty unpleasant. But I think I'm right about the distortion not being normal. I did call Hunter but I couldn't find the company they used to use and they didn't have a number. But it can be done properly here.
So I worked at sea in Alaska for 10 years. I'm wondering how your boat handled the Gulf of Alaska as well as the trip to New Zealand. My wife isn't as adventurous as I am so we don't sail too far from home. The window for me to do a passage has probably passed because of age. But I still dream. You are very fortunate to be able to live permanently in NZ.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Hi
I did an extensive write up on how to remove windshields very easily: if questions, pm me

Apr 6, 2020
hunter 42 ventura
Good luck,
Paul
Good luck,
Paul
I would love some information about the original cast or the company. I’m having an issue with my forward window as well. Thanks!!
-wade

Jul 25, 2004
Hunter 42 currently in New Zealand
I would love some information about the original cast or the company. I’m having an issue with my forward window as well. Thanks!!
-wade
Hi Wade,

I've waded through all of my old receipts and unfortunately I can't find the one for that windshield. (It was 20 years ago). Sorry about that!

Cheers,
Paul